Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thursday but feeling like Friday~

Just a few thoughts and a short story this morning before heading out to have lunch with a few of "MyKids".

Last night was our church service @ the park. Free hamburgers/hotdogs and all the fixens - music and a message - worshipping God and around some of the best folks on the planet! Man what could be better.....

Thanks to Michael, John, Jim and the Hill's for their help on the grillzilla .... Yes - it took 3 of us to cook on it and we all had our own section. Thank dad for once again all the years behind the grill at your place! It paid off and I was so much looking forward to cooking like a maniac!
The park rangers came and told us to lower the music if you can believe that...or else they would have to pull the plug. I think they just need to be at the service .... come on - we are outside and in an ampitheatre!

Carol - you are amazing just making things happen! She came with 2 van fulls of "OurKids" - it was great having them all there. Sorry Donna you have to work on your birthday but I am glad to have your kids with us. I just love all of them - Kyle, Amanda, Maddie, Brodie, Beverly, Beth, Dannielle, Chloe, Wesley, Allison, the Davis girls, Sarah, Nicole, Taylor and Morgan and all the rest of "MyKids" who came to give me hugs and smiles....... ya'll make life awesome!
Last night we got to enjoy church with a family who we have been inviting for over a year! It was great having them there....and I do believe that they loved it...... and will have to say that the day they walk into church on a Sunday morning is just going to be amazing! I can't wait for that day! -

Anyways - I am still pumped from last night! It took Carol and I some time to unwind even though I was wound down much sooner than she did...she was up making breakfast this morning early! EOG's and Carols breakfast the last few morning have been awesome! The guys here @ work are enjoying the EOG's - they dont have any 3rd graders yet :)

I wanted to share this morning a story about "A guy named Rob" from last night~
I got to the park a little after 3. I pulled the E up and unloaded 10 cases of soda and a cooler - a man walked up and saw what we were doing as the band was unloading the trailer and they just unloaded the big speakers and he said - "What are ya'll doing here tonight?" - I told him that we were having church in the park. His eyes got real big and you can tell that he was a little surprised but a good surprise. We shook hands and told me he was Rob from Richmond Va. He is here for work and he normally attends his church back home on Wed nights and this was the first one he would be missing in quite some time. He asked what the deal was and what was taking place... I told him about the food and the band - service time that Pastor JImmy would be preaching and to make himself welcome ... to enjoy his time here and be comfortable. He said he had to run back to his hotel and get cleaned up - call his wife and check in with the family but also I could tell he was going to tell her how excited he was about church @ the park. I said that was cool and to be prepared because the music is loud and we are a church that has fun.... just then Hatch turned the juice on and it was LOUD .... and Rob looked at me said ... man you werent kidding - he had a big smile on his face. Rob is probably in his early 40's ... had some wear on his face and looked like he did something in construction or building with his hands...... not sure. So some time went by and folks started coming and filling the place up --- we were hot on the grill and Rob came walking back up - new clothes looking clean. I said hey to him and told him to get some food - whatever he wanted was fine and to make himself at home. A little while later Rob came back after eating, I was drinking a bottle of water and Rob thanked me for the food and said that @ his church he sings in the choir and music is such a big part of church and part of worship - and its his biggest draw to church ....he loves music.... I told him about our band and how we have volunteers in the band and how awesome Brandon is at leading worship. He said I just want to thank you for inviting me and making me feel welcome. He told me that he had to leave Richmond and his family because of work and this is exactly what he needed. I told him our church does not have a building and we stretch as much as we can to get into the community and share the love of Jesus with them. Its not about having 4 walls ... its about sharing the Love of Christ and meeting those folks where they are. Man you could tell this was going to an impactful evening for Rob. He sat mid way on the bleachers...... service was great, message great and like you said Jimmy - planting seeds is what we are doing this summer...... we are not taking the summer off. After the service - Rob came over and we shook hands - he said that was the most amazing thing ... so different than his church and the message was practical and useful - the music was awesome - he said ya'll have such a grea time and he really loved that - you could tell he missing home and his family ...... He again thanked me -he had a cushion and I told him about the website - to go there and get the downloads of the messages .... and I told him where we meet on Sundays. I invited him to come if his job keeps him in the Charlotte area for an extended time.... he said that he would do that..... and his face was all smiles during our parting conversation ..... We touched this person last night and I do believe something changed for Rob........a God thing.... AND there is nothing sweeter.

Have a great weekend everyone - be safe and remember our troops - they are what make this holiday a holiday!...

The Bateman clan will see ya'll soon - we are headed to the cabin for a long weekend, take ownership of "Heaven Cent" - our new boat and just enjoying some down time....
Peace,
Lon~

No comments: