Wednesday, May 28, 2008

This has been a different day. Next week is a dear friend of mine birthday. She has been working for the state now for over 30 years. She could have retired years ago but continues to work because in her mind - retirement is not a real thing. The Lord asks us to serve Him and never says anything about retirement.... its a man made thing that was invented for folks who worked for many years to sit back and do the the "Good Life".
I think on many fronts as of right now - the "Good Life" will include serving the Lord in some capacity - a capacity which I may not know anything about today - but serving Him for as long as He has use for me.
Today for breakfast and now for lunch - we surprised my good friend here at work on her birthday. It was a nice change since she is always on vacation for her birthdays and today we got to celebrate it. Lots of folks there also remembering my birthday last Saturday included me in on the surprise... so that was cool.
For those who really know me - I don't like being out in the front - unless its racing or winning something - but I mean like the center of attention. I am happiest serving and being in the shadows or on the sideline but very much part of the game. For the past few years I have taken a relaxed pace in life. I am enjoying things more - stress less on certain things - stress more about other things- Love and care deeper than ever before.... lots have changed about me over the last few years. I think one thing big has been my determination to eating healthy and working out. I do miss working out and hitting the gym, running, biking, whatever it was that came across my path - I could do it. I got that from years being in Judo and my dreams of the Olympics years ago. My 6 pack abs are now like 2 pack abs and my pants have grown over the last few years but life is short and once Lipitor came into my life - well, my diet has changed to include more great tasting foods!
Today at the surprise party - I had a slice of cake ....... big step for me. I also discovered that Snickers makes ICECREAM! Whew..... I never knew. How important is having 6 pack abs anyways when there is Snickers icecream?
From all the events in my life the last few years - with my mom passing away, dad having health issues, Walt passing away and right now some of my dearest friends are struggling with something and 2 who have parents under Hospice care .... man it really makes me think. Do I need to be harder on myself? Do I need to get back to the gym even though I too have health issues that makes me scared to go back into the gym? Should I just enjoy the last 30 years within reason and not think about it all?
Mid life thoughts I think ...... I have a 2007 Honda 2000 - my dream car. Walt passed that car to me..... it still is tough for me to drive knowing that it was Walts .... How cool is it to have something you have wanted for so long to be finally yours? Well, honestly - I would rather sell it, get Carol something she wants to drive and help the people around me with the rest of it.... to pay for another child that God places on my heart so he/she will have lunch every single day of school next year. Maybe pay a bill for a family who is struggling or use that money to make meals for a family with a sick loved one..send a project 252 teenager to summer camp to experience life change....... I may even get a GALLON of that Snickers icecream and stop thinking so much!
Life is short ..... and to keep it in perspective - its one moment at a time and enjoying what the Lord has placed on me today.
Psalm 23
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, [a] I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

No comments: