Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Kyle had another exciting wrestling match last night as parents, friends and students gathered to cheer him and the team on. Its such an amazing time together as our kids give their hearts on the mat. For some that means a LOT since they may have not started in a match yet but are getting a chance to show what they have learned through the preliminary matches. Coaches get to see how fast, strong or how much skill a student has on the mat. Parents scream the most during these matches because they know their son may not be on the mat again this season. For Kyle, it was like that all last year. Never starting, always at practice, giving it his all with a great attitude and a team spirit but also and most importantly - never giving up.
As Kyle won his match last night by pin in the 1st period - he is working hard and cutting weight as it as known by any wrestler - its part of the territory. Welcome to wrestling! We had some parents come over and speak with us as the parents all stood together waiting on the team to come out of the locker room. Some high fives and words of encouragement started to happen, one of the parents asked about Kyle and mentioned how good he is doing. We thanked them for that and shared with them to keep their son focused and to keep pressing through, their son had his first prelim and was excited to have been on that mat, we told them that Kyle was that last year - never starting and only got a prelim match at the end of the season and now he is leading, doing well and is a main part of the team. Its a testing of character, a testing of endurance and a testing of waiting on YOUR time.

Our faith is very much like this. Its always being tested. If you tell me that you are good and have been for 10 years with no problems issues or testing of any kind. I would have to say, that either you are lying or dont know Christ to be tested. I mean we all will have trouble!
Trouble is part of this sinful world and its in the woven fabric of this fallen world. Problem is with trouble, we are so fixed minded on fixing the problem that we often times mess it up and push God totally aside. This kind of thing frustrates us but it also puts distance between us and God. We are supposed to rely and lean on Him during our seasons of trouble. IN our seasons of waiting. IN our seasons of hard work with little pay off.
We are never limited to the capacity of what God can correct all around us but we are SO limited by what we can actually really fix.
James - the half brother of Jesus probably knew this more than most. I mean he was the half brother of Jesus and had a front row seat into everything in his brothers life. Every time out, every spanking, every bible lesson taught, every miracle performed, every life changed, every healing that took place and even in the death and resurrection. James knew first hand this world will have trouble.
James 1: James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes scattered among the nations: Greeting. Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything.
I love how James begins by saying and admitting he is a servant of God and the Lord Jesus Christ. His half-brother! Who would ever admit being a servant to their brother? I sure wouldnt have and I am sure you wouldnt either. But, James writes it here because he knows WHO Jesus, his half brother really is. I think James had many tests over his lifetime. I dont know about you but I was never fond of tests. I hated them in school, I hate them now as I have to do that from time to time here at work. Tests shows what we have learned and how well. Being on a college campus, I am surrounded by students taking tests all the time. I see the stress and hard work they put into passing with good grades. I also see often times how little they put into them preparing and studying. Our faith works the same way. God is testing you when you are in a tough season. He is testing you when you are struggling with something, money, people, a challenging boss, a teacher who is tough, someone talking behind your back, a call comes in from the doctor or the passing of a loved one. Testing, provides us an avenue to grow, to learn and to experience God in new ways, deeper ways and in COMPLETE ways.
I would never know what it would be like for someone to lose a mom, unless I too have lost a mom. I would never be able to relate to a person who was homeless unless I too was once homeless. I would never relate to someone hurting unless I too was hurt along the way.

Testing as James tells us, produces perseverance so that we can be mature and complete lacking in nothing. I like lacking in nothing. As I posted yesterday as I began to think about this - I am not the perfect husband, father, stepdad, uncle, brother, Christian but thankful that God is not done with me yet. I AM NOT DONE YET. GOD IS NOT FINISHED WITH ME YET!
I want to scream that sometimes. I want others to know that life is not over because of whatever it is that has you held down today. That boy can find another girl but this girl will carry on knowing God created her and loves her perfectly. He aint worth the tears girl!
That job you just got let go from, there is a better job that awaits and one that will be more fulfilling than this one. That child who is giving you a ride of everything you have to keep them straight in life will one day come to their senses and be thankful and say the words "I love you".
If your prayers seem to be hitting the ceiling and nothing seems to be happening - James 1:5 should be your prayer right now. James 1:5-6 - If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt.
If you are in a season of trouble or difficulty today - Pray to God and ask for wisdom. Ask him to show you the purpose, the plan, the process, to pass through and reaching the other side. He will provide if you believe and not doubt. God give me wisdom on what to do with my child who is running in the wrong directions. God give me wisdom on my next step to finding work. God give me wisdom on who I should be dating and the kind of person I am attracting.
James 1:12 - Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.
Lord I love you enough to go through this season of difficulty in my life. I love you enough Lord knowing that no matter what I face ahead, I know you are there with me. I love you enough Lord that my child is running and pushing me away that You are protecting them far more than I ever could.
Passing the test today - what does that look like for you? Maybe I touched on something here in my heart that touches yours. Maybe you have been hurt by someone and you want to lash out, make the public known what kind of person this person really is. Maybe you lost your job and are feeling as low as you have ever experienced. Loved ones, trials come, testing happens - are you preparing yourself to pass the test? Are you striving forward under the strain and hurt? If you are like most people, its easier to jump ship, its easier to change jobs, its easier to change marriages, its easier to give up on that child, its easier to move neighborhoods, its easier to write off a parent - but there is blessing on the one who perserveres under trials.

I want to be blessed, how about you? Stay focused today loved ones on the trials you are in. They are serving a purpose. God has a plan for letting those things happen and it may not be today you see the reasons why but one day you will.
As I reflect back on the passing of my mom years ago, knowing today what I know now because of my moms passing in through that hard and difficult season - I know why mom left. God had purpose in it. God had a bigger plan. Bigger than her even.
Testing of our faith...... in lifes journey. It will be YOUR season again soon :)
Lonnie~

No comments: