Friday, November 4, 2011

I really wanted to take a moment to share the last period of Kyles match last night with a video but I cant seem to upload it on here. Maybe its too large of a file size but I will have to say that Carol, Morgan, Taylor and myself sat waiting on Kyle's match biting each others fingers. His first start. Crowd loud and we are away from our home turf - lots of new kids wrestling for the first time, not sure what to do, first match of the season and the place is loud. Fan support was good on both sides but Mt. Pleasant is known for wrestling. Our first couple matches we got pinned and it was looking like a sweep as we all looked at the talent and toughness of the other team. Kyles match was up. He checked in, coach slapped him on the butt and the handshake took place right before the whistle. Kyle went up 4-1 in the match in the first period even though he almost turned into a pin in the last second. 2nd period found him on bottom and fighting for a good most of it trying to get out from under. Finally breaking free and rolling with a good move that was too fast for his opponent, Taylor covering her eyes, Carol screaming, I'm trying my best to scream, lean and take video, Morgan is yelling "Go Kyle" - Kyle makes the move and drives his arm over the guys shoulder and rolls him onto his back. With a pressing shoulder and driving legs he presses the shoulders onto the mat for the win. Pin - first time out. Crowd goes nuts, mom is out of control jumping up and down and sweaty hands, Taylor uncovers her eyes and Morgan is yelling "Way to go Kyle" - I am filming the back of the head of the person in front of me almost totally missing the shot of him taking the arm raised in victory.
Kyle shakes hands and greets all the coaches with pats on the head, smiles and Mavericks chant.
Gosh - what a great way to start. So much poured into that one match. See an entire year last year being the workout guy for the starter. Sometimes beating him and getting better week by week. He could have lost heart. He could have given up. He could have finished out the year and then no more deciding to not do that again.
Very proud of him sticking with it. You can tell he has that driving look on his face like - I got this. I can do this. I can win this! Its determination and not giving up when it gets tough. Im not saying he will win every match. I really hope he does but I do know in experiencing a loss - there will be much learned from it. But for now, mom and dad - are enjoying the Win even though the team lost big time... 6 points went up on the score board with Kyles name on it.
I love hearing the comments from the football players who are wrestling this year. "I thought football was tough but this wrestling is killer, coach is trying to kill us!" - YUP welcome to wrestling boys.
Its all you on that mat.... one on one.

Got to love it..... Kyle Proud of you buddy! I know why my mom and dad looked the way they did all those years in the stands while I was on the mat at Judo or on the mat at wrestling. My turn to have that look now :)

Cold and rainy here today. Got a coffee going this afternoon with miss Holly. Tomorrow might try to hit the handicapped basketball game with miss Nicole and then help Carol with some stuff. Sunday is reunion day in VA! I love getting together with everyone! A year since seeing most of my family. Ready for some banana pudding and way to much to eat.

Have a blessed Friday everyone,
Lonnie~

No comments: