Thursday, October 14, 2010

LOL - Bible study was different last night. Not the fact I picked up students to take them there, spend time with them there, McDonalds afterwards, good deep conversations and shared laughs time with many, Txt messages for parents to pick up, then drop off students at home. Its a whirlwind of an evening - hopefully all focused and centered around Christ. Last night I didn't get to hear the message but did get pulled in on a family situation. I am totally cool with that and I am thankful to be there for this family. It really has me thinking this morning about that leadership role in Youth.....

Our youth are on the fast and furious of learning and imitating their parents. They are watching, listening and doing what we as parents are doing. When we are not lining up our words with our actions - mixed signals are being received thus causing confusion and even frustration at times. When those 2 things happen, our children make poor choices, start hanging with the wrong crowd, have image problems, slip in their faith, and usually start walking down a harder road alone because they dont see us as leaders by example. They dont see value in following when what they see isn't lining up. I see it every day and its even in my own life and as a parent. Being a leader to youth and family, a role model for many, a friend and life coach - really will humble you and the meaning of Grace really comes alive.

I am in Ephesians 5 and then in Galations 6 today.
Ephesians 5: Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and game himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Galations 6: Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each others burdens and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself.

If you think you are too important to help someone, loved ones, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important. Our teens need us to be leaders, not only in our families, MEN I am talking to you! - but also to those around you who you have influence with. I love the kids in my life, yes they drive me crazy, let me down at times, and all those things but I love them regardless. Many times I am enjoying them smile and being there for them when they need a lift, an encouraging word, or an ear to talk to. They need guidance, not another friend - they have plenty of those, but a spiritual leader who has their back, who will gently realign them and cheer for them in life. Nothing is more important than a kind word or a "You Can Do It" from someone they respect and listen to. Especially when its not their parents!

~Youth ministry is relational. Without relationship you can only be surface level. How are you? The weather is great! How is school? - nothing of importance in those conversations. When you are flexing flexibility, sensitivity and some wisdom ...then you are getting somewhere.

~Youth leader, you teach and model Gods ways in all you do and all you say so walk the walk and talk the talk. You have to have genuine faith and to be effective you must spend time with God, pray and model for your students. They will give us plenty of grace for their ups and down of walking with Christ but in the end we have to model to them that we are growing and walking with Christ. For your students, if you are hungry and thirsty for Christ, chances are they will be as well.

~Youth leader, we must have healthy relationships outside of the students. We all need someone in our lives who we can connect with that are other God loving adults who sharpen us. A leader who goes without being renewed will burn out or fizz out spiritually. We cannot always be in the lead role.

~Youth leader, you need accountability. If there is something in your life you are struggling with. Confess it and make it public to those trusted peeps in your life. They will hold you accountable and will make sure your walk is on the straight and arrow. Without it, you will surely fall back to those same habits. Your faith is not meant to be alone ... we all need someone to walk with us. Your students may look to you for this role in their life ... embrace it and hold it to the highest standards that you can. Get help if needed by more experienced and wise counsel if the situation is too much.

~Youth leader, you need to worship! Worship should flow out of your heart because it shows the love you have in your heart for Christ. I often use worship music to fill my heart up so that I can pour out the extra I have into them. I am especially pumped for Jeremy Camp next week and then Nov 3rd 10th Ave North... Brandon is leading worship tomorrow night and a bunch of us are going! This is getting your worship on! Yes music our students listen to is pretty well, out there and probably not the best example of honoring God many times. But, provide them an example without putting them down. Our parents didn't like our music either!

I have been leading in the church now for a few years in a few different roles. Working with youth and leading has got to be the toughest role in the church. Little did I know entering this ministry I would become a pastor to dozens of teenagers. Be preparing lessons each week not only for student ministry but also for my small group both adults and students. Little did I know that I would spend so much of my own money on McDonalds after LOL, Chikfila when a student wants to talk, Starbucks when a walk and talk is in order, and gas money driving around picking students up to get them places. Never did I imagine there wouldn't be much time for the gym and thus my Crestor expense has went up because of not working out and all the meals I am eating at McDonalds, Chikfila and Bojangles. :) - Never did I thought I would be texting but in order to communicate with students... my thumbs are worn down from the daily text messages hitting my phone all day and even in the night. Never would I have thought I would be in the middle of family issues that were not my own family. I have always been a good listener but this takes it to the next level! I never would have thought this ministry would take up so much time. Especially away from my own family.

I am often times wanting to pinch myself - I get overwhelmed at times with emotion knowing that God has allowed me to be this much of an influence in the lives of others. I cannot believe how much my heart is connected to these students and their families that they really feel like family to me. They are so much a part of who I am. I hope when I am dead and gone, folks will remember me for that. Living a life serving others and a friend to many. A real friend. A friend that will pray for you every day, ask for your forgiveness, grant you the same and be a friend always. Thats grace. That kind of grace can only be experienced through Jesus.
I am living life larger than life itself. I am grateful in so many ways.
I will end this long heart felt post today with this:

Galations 6: 10 - Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially those who belong to the family of believers.
Loved ones, we are all the same on the inside and God loves each of us. Extend grace where grace is needed. Let us encourage one another with kind and loving words. Reach out to those who need a hand and smile. It reflects your heart.

Lonnie~

No comments: