Friday, October 22, 2010

I fully enjoyed the message at YCI this morning at Kyles school. Nothing better than sharing a morning message with 140+ students and getting high fives from so many on their way to start there school day.
I am reminded today, how can we serve Christ when we are so wrapped up in our own little worlds? I have been listening to what I call next to the edge music from a band I had never heard of until this week but this is normal for our kids today. They listen to all kinds of music from bands that never make the radio. Does anyone listen to the radio anymore?
Revive Blink has a great song - Blink. Here are some of the words from that song.

It happens in a blink, it happens in a flash
It happens in the time it took to look back
I try to hold on tight, but there not stopping time
What is it I've done with my life

It happens in a blink
It happens in a blink

Slow down
Slow down
Before today becomes
our yesterday

I am headed to the cabin this evening and I am so looking forward to my walk tonight under the stars as I talk with mom. After this past week I am really in need of some mom time. Oh, how I wish I could just sit and have a coffee with her.
A few weeks ago while during a conversation I was called "Intense". That really made me think and examine myself. I even asked a close peep today - "Am I intense?" - I wonder if I am too intense at times for even the students in my life? Am I mixing it up enough to be the fun Mr.Lonnie and then the intense fired up for Jesus Mr. Lonnie? I don't know what that looks like ... all I know is I am passionate for Christ in my life and I am passionate about those in my life to know Christ as well. So if that makes me intense... I can live with that. This morning at YCI the student pastor charged the students to not just come .... to YCI - BUT GO and be YCI in their school, at the lunch table, with the person sitting alone that no one will talk to, at the dinner table, on the football field. This passionate love we have for Christ can't be a part time following. Hear only what you want to hear and filter the rest out. God touched my heart in a big way this past week about giving him my worship .... all of my worship!

Galations 6: 16-26
My counsel is this: Live freely, animated and motivated by Gods spirit. Then you wont feed the compulsions of selfishness. For there is a root of sinful self interest in us that is at odds with a free spirit, just as the free spirit is incompatible with selfishness. These two ways of life are antithetical, so that you cannot live at times one way and at times another way according to how you feel on a given day. Why dont you choose to be led by the spirit?
But what happens when we live Gods way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard - things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely.

Following Christ should be contagious. I get a little fired up. I usually can't eat before rock group. I am excited on Sunday mornings. I am eager to learn something new from God. I smile when I know God just sent me someone who needed some guidance or a person to talk to or pray with them. My heart is heavy when I am at the Center of Hope serving a meal to the homeless women and children. My heart is exploding when one of the students has a moment with God and on fire, is contagious and stands of for Christ in the lunchroom. I am excited when a dad steps up to lead his family and have realtionship with his son, daughter and wife after many years of pouring his life into his work and just providing a roof over their heads. I cry when I get to experience God do something huge in a persons life. I cry when I get a note from a student (they are all over my walls at work, in my Bible, on my phone and ipod) sharing with me how thankful they are that they have me to go to and for always being there for them and showing them the love of Christ. I cry when they cry. I hurt when they hurt. I smile when they smile and share victory when they win or lose because I was there cheering them on.
Galations 5: 25-26
Since this is the kind of life we have chosen, the life of the spirit, let us make sure that we do not just hold it as an idea in our heads or a sentiment in our hearts, but work out its implications in every detail of our lives. That means we will not compare ourselves with each other as if one of us were better and another worse. We have far more intersting things to do with our lives. Each of us is an original.

Lets finish up the lyrics to the song -Blink
It happens in a blink
It happens in a blink

When its all said and done
No one remembers
How far we have run
The only things that matters
is how we have loved

I dont want to miss
Even just a second
More of this

I dont want to miss more of this. I missed far too much already in my life. Far too many of us think about tomorrow but your faith is meant to be lived out today. No matter how old or young you may be right now ... your faith is worth living out today before it become your yesterday. Make it matter... It might just change your life.
Lonnie~

1 comment:

Marie said...

Hi Lonnie,
This is the first time I've viewed your blog. What a beautiful picture of you and your mom praying together. If my mom prayed with me like that, I was too young to remember. However, I did see her on her knees praying on several occasions and I'm sure many of those prayers were for me.

I gave my life to Jesus at the age of 30 after running from Him for several years. It has been 36 years now of serving Him. The first 30 years are mere vague memories but the last 36 are treasured ones. If only people realized the value of knowing God and teaching their little ones about Him.
Thank you for sharing your faith and your thoughts on your blog. I have truly enjoyed reading and will continue to check in. God Bless you and yours. Marie