Monday, October 25, 2010

Back in 1999 I almost lost my life here on this earth as well as my life in heaven. I had not come to a place in my life where Jesus was that important to me and was basically living like most people - myself. Doing what I wanted to do and using people along the way is the norm and often times I catch myself saying, "Hey it would be easier to live my life that way than the way I am called to live by following Christ". But I can't do that so I have to press through and as I think about where life is today and that important turning point in my life - I can't help but to be fired up to share my life with others who have either yet to go through a season in their life that is really hard or are going through it right now. Pain is an attention getter and God often uses pain in our lives to speak to us, to break us, to teach us, to move us to understanding his ways over our own and even speak to others during our season of pain.
I am reminded of Romans 8:28 today. It is a well known piece of scripture and one that has been placed on many of hearts so I hope its a well received reminder for you as well.
Romans 8:28 - And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Notice the beginning words - And we know - that does not mean, let me think about it or sometimes. It means - AND WE KNOW. You know without a doubt that its in our DNA as a follower of Christ that ALL things God works for the good of those who love him and who have been called according to his purpose.
That season in time was for a purpose that I almost died back in 1999. I speak of this season every so often as life goes on. It is a reminder that all could have been lost but God had a bigger plan and was not done with my story yet. Even as Carol watched by my bedside my condition getting worse, my parents where called to come and say their goodbye's, even as Kyle was almost left without a dad, God had more to do in me. Not only did this sickness change me, it changed Carol, the nurses, the doctor, my parents - it affected everyone around us. The pastor at my church then came to visit and though hard to minister to a family in the valleys of life - he was changed.
I know without a doubt that I see people differently today because of this season. It was months before I was functional again and was able to go back to work, drive a car, energy to do the things I wanted to do and to be a husband and father again. It was during this breaking period I realized, I needed God. My life consists me pouring into others as Christ continues to fill me. I am blessed beyond my comprehension and those who have not went through a tough season in life or have experienced God that up close and personal like I have - sometimes don't get me.
At times, I may appear I have lost the joy in life but look a little deeper loved ones. I am eager for you, my heart breaks for you and want nothing more than to pour out all God has done in my life to you. Walk with me, stick with me are words I often say.
Dare to live this life insignificant but with significance.

Some people have money. Lots of it. Power and compassion don't exist together. Folks either have one or the other but not both. Jesus is the only one who has power but cares about our needs. He is the definition of compassion. In Matthew 15:29 - Jesus left the place along the sea of Galilee and went up on a mountainside and sat down. Great crowds came to him, bringing the lame, sick, crippled and laid them at his feet and he healed them. The people were amazed when they saw the mute speaking, the crippled made well, the lame walking and the blind seeing. Jesus called his disciples to him and said, "I have compassion for these people; they have already been with me for 3 days and have nothing to eat. I do not want to send them away hungry, or they may collapse on the way."

This is the God that could do anything at any moment. He cared about them being hungry. He didnt want to send them away. He had compassion on them. He cared for them. He loved them. He gave them the basics of their needs in time of need. He will do that today for you. Every single person mattered as he met the basic needs of the people.
Loved ones, I want to share that no need you have is too small for our God. He cares about the lunch you have or don't have. He cares about the test you are having done today on your knee. He cares that there may not be enough money to pay for the tests but he will provide. The needs of the people around me today are heavy on me. The needs of even those who willingly chose to stick with the drama, not come to church, not lead their families, are heavy on me because there is a better way. My heart knows that many of them have yet to experience the pain in their life at a level that changes them. That makes me sad but it presses me onward knowing that God can and will at any given moment free them from where they are. His power is mighty and in his compassion, He can change a life when we least expect it. I am blessed to have a few folks in my life who God has put in my life that are a breath of mercy air. They have not needed a bunch of energy, a lot of investment, all that heart felt tough places to go through - they have come to encourage me amongst the other things God has them on for his purposes. I am only a part of their journey but I am grateful to be on this journey with them.

In my quiet time this morning 2 Timothy 2:22-26 really spoke to me.
Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lords servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

Only through Gods power and compassion for us can we even attempt to live our lives this way as the scripture shares with us. A pure heart - a place that we have to constantly examine and make sure its in check. God are my motives your motives? Are my intentions your intentions? Help us not have stupid arguments over things that just dont matter because they build walls and have lasting affects. The Lords servant must keep in focus to be kind to everyone, able to teach not only through words but in our actions as well, not become resentful, be gently with instructing others and being hopeful that they come to their senses and live a life worthy of living for.
Sometimes we have to put the needs of others in front of our own to truly understand the compassion that Christ wants us to have. We just live a life having another Monday after Monday after Monday - there has to be purpose and meaning in those Mondays. If we don't we begin to lost the story of our life and the beauty that is in it.
Loved ones, God can create our washed out meaningless lifeless life into a life of meaning and beauty. The story our life is telling others matters! Our story in this life has to have something other than just us - in it.

Give your life to dreaming of making others dreams a reality. Pointing them to Jesus is a life with meaning. Thats the true meaning of compassion when the needs of others are more than your own. Praying for your story .....

Lonnie~

No comments: