Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Something Good within Something Bad

The last few days have been just unreal to put it simply. Trying to make sense of something, anything at all would be nice. Yesterday Carol and Bob asked me if I could led the memorial service because no one here had a church, they didn't know a pastor or minister here and the funeral home couldn't get someone. My first thought was NO WAY. Me? I am not worthy of that honor nor did I think I could handle the situation without breaking down. Yesterday while cutting the grass here, God began to change those thoughts and He laid some heavy things on my heart. He gave me some things that so share in case I had to perform this service. As many of you know, I just don't do public speaking. I am not one for the spot light but in situations like this, God doesn't care about my comfort zone. He cares about His message being shared.
Yesterday by friends and family, I was asked on a few occasions - How can I trust religion when something like this happens? I think yesterday I spent a good part of my day sharing the love of Jesus and helping some of the folks here to understand God and His mercy on all that has happened. I shared with them that even during something as bad as this - Something good still comes from it. I don't know why God had to take Denise now - I just don't know and maybe one day we will all understand. But I reminded everyone who Denise was. She was the most caring, loving and giving person we all knew. In many ways she reminded me of my mom because for them, it was all about others. Denise had a big heart - a loving heart - a giving heart.
Today there are 7 people who are benefiting from Denise. Even as her life story ends, it is just beginning. She will live on through these 7 folks, a person who could not see yesterday will see today maybe for the very first time. Imagine that, seeing trees, grass or your mothers face and hair for the first time. There is someone who doesn't have to sit for 9 hours every 3 days on a dialysis machine because Denise gave him her kidneys. There is a person today who is getting parts of Denises skin and the doctors are covering up painful scars from a burn. There is someone today who has a new heart and a second chance at life.
So as I think about all the bad that comes from this, a single parent trying to raise a 14 year old daughter, birthdays and Christmas mornings forever changed. There are 7 other families that will also have birthdays and Christmas morning forever changed. I didn't move to NC and find religion. Religion is what killed Jesus. The religious leaders of that time killed Jesus. The ones that were saved were the ones who walked with Jesus, who followed him, who were healed by Him, who listened to His preaching - I moved to NC and I found Jesus. Its a relationship that when asked, He pulls us in close and comforts us when we are hurting and someone to talk to about anything. I shared last night that it was ok to bring our lack of understanding about Denise to God, to wrestle with Him and tell Him it is unfair. It is ok if you have not been in church in 29 years and have no idea where to begin. Jesus accepts us right where we are - right here and right now.
Something good comes out of something bad. A year from now - Bob and Kaity will get a chance to meet those 7 folks who got something good from something bad. That is something to look forward to.......... and God will get us there.

Psalm 23
A psalm of David. 1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, [
a] I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.


Gods best today and I pray you feel Gods love like never before~
Lonnie

1 comment:

Sharon Davis said...

You are the one to lead the memorial service, God has placed you there at this time for this purpose. HE has something to say through you. Let HIM use you, this is your moment to let GOD shine. Not for your glory but for HIS! HIS plan has been in place for this for a long time, not that you will ever understand this or anyone else either for that matter, how can you understand this grief? But, it is for "such a time as this" that you have been ordained in God's eyes for just this purpose.

Let God speak to you so that HE can speak through you.

Love & prayers,
Aunt Sharon