Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Biblical Friend~

As I look around my circle - I am amazed with the true friends Carol, Kyle and I have. I know I blogged this point yesterday, but let me say it one more time :)
I know that if my family and I were not in church, serving in church and being in the places God has called us to - we would be doing this life on our own. It would be just the 3 of us and that really scares me to think that we would be having to go through all we are going through right now alone.
Proverbs 17:17
17 A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

I take my friends very seriously. I want to be there for them when they need someone to walk in close when others pull away. As a Christian, I want to be in there battling, encouraging and praying with them.
Proverbs 18:24
24 Friends come and friends go, but a true friend sticks by you like family.

As I look around right now and the struggles my family and I are facing - there are those who are moving in close and jumping right in there with us. I can't tell you how that is so uplifting!

Are you a good friend to someone? Are you taking the steps forward for someone who needs a friend? So many folks come up with excuses and back off when someone they know is in need. It might be a family member or a neighbor - it might be a friend you know from church or work. It takes courage to step forward and to go to the place where its a little scary and it might get a little ugly and it for sure will get hard. But that is what friends do - Maybe you are not choosing your friends well or maybe you don't even know how you got the friends you do have but they are no good and a bad influence. Maybe they are the reason why you cannot grow in Christ or make the changes in your life for the better because they are dragging you down and are keeping you in the place where you are today.

1 Corinthians 15:33
33 Don’t be fooled by those who say such things, for “bad company corrupts good character.”

You might be one of the nicest folks around but if you are sourrounded by folks that are not encouraging you, uplifting you, walking life with you, praying for you - then you need to walk away - you need to take the steps and get out!
I think about someone who is close to me this morning and his place is at the bar. He has his seat - its like being Norm on Cheers - he has his spot in the place and his name is on the bar stool. He thinks these people are his friends, he goes through his day just ho-hum until he gets there and he is smiles, he is happy and he is in his comfort zone. Its all lies and I got to see it first hand not long ago. It was sad to watch really knowing that his life could be different and it could be so much better!
It does not matter how old you are or if you are a freshman in HS or college - retired, 10 years old or whatever - Choose your friends wisely. For they will make up your character and hold you accountable for your actions when we screw up - or praise us when we are doing good!

We were not made to do this life alone - we were made to have friends and people around us! I am not talking just opposite sex but I am talking friends... I am talking about family - I am talking about people who will spend quality time with! Find them and then love them - walk with them and do life with them.
Choose friends who are going in the direction you are wanting to go ~

So where are you going? Is this the path you want to be on?

I am thankful for the friends in my life - Our Rock Group families, our church, the PTA families who are stopping everyday - my family - Its the direction I want to go in - its the direction that God is leading my family and I in and we are so blessed to find this narrow road. I am so glad that our friends include the word of God and that is the basis and center of these friendships.
I am not afraid to have this cross on my neck - it lets everyone know where I am in life and my direction. My actions and my words should reflect that cross ... its something I take seriously and I take my friends seriously.
Sometimes your closest friend is not your sister in Cleveland but your friend you meet at the coffee shop - the one you cry with and laugh with.

I have this printed on my wall here at work:
Mark 3:31-35
The True Family of Jesus
31 Then Jesus’ mother and brothers came to see him. They stood outside and sent word for him to come out and talk with them. 32 There was a crowd sitting around Jesus, and someone said, “Your mother and your brothers[a] are outside asking for you.”
33 Jesus replied, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” 34 Then he looked at those around him and said, “Look, these are my mother and brothers. 35 Anyone who does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.”


love you all -
In Christ,
Lonnie~

No comments: