Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Whoever is not against us is for us

Mark 9:38-41 "Teacher," said John, "We saw a man driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us." "Do not stop him," Jesus said, "no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, for whoever is not against us is for us. I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward."

As many have come to know, we are no longer at Rocky River Church. It has been a great 7 years serving, growing, learning, leaning on God and those around us. I have seen God work in so many things, through so many people it has been amazing and so inspiring to be on the front row seat. We have made life long friends there and we have lost some over the years. Not only did we grow in our faith and climbed mountain after mountain but we have also climbed some big mountains personally in our lives. My fear of public speaking is mostly gone because of the passion I have for Jesus in my life and wanting to share with others the life change that Christ has given to me so that I may help somehow in their faith journey. I have answered the call on my life to step into the lives of the Lyman girls not only as a friend and male role model but also as a kind of step dad kind of way. This should be honored and not told I need to change because it doesnt look right! Sorry - I know what God has called me to do and what would that say about me if I just walked away from them? What would that say to them? - Far too many kids out there get to experience that in their lives first hand from a parent leaving the family and I will not back down from what God has called me to. I put a lot of value on that role and even though I didnt understand it at first, I know God has called me into their lives. More importantly - they know it!
8 months ago, I stepped up into the leadership role for the student ministry and being honest I was scared to death even after 5 years serving in the ministry and the pressure is unreal to keep the pace up and a full time job, being a husband, a dad and an influence to so many. I did so because I love the students that God put into my life. I love reaching them and showing them Jesus and I will always remember the times of smiles, of tears, of great conversations and leading a prayer as a student gives their lives to Jesus. I love the encouragement that I got to share with them but also the encouragement I got from them. Works both ways.

One thing I want everyone to know is that - I DID NOT LEAVE YOU.

I never got a platform to share that.....I stayed to the end and looking backward and now forward - God is moving my platform to another. He knew I would not leave the students that He put in my life. No way, no how even as folks continued to tell me - there are other students in other places that you can make a difference for. Sorry, not yet...my job is not done here yet.

I honestly would not change anything I stood for nor change anything I have done.

I spoke to a dear friend yesterday afternoon who called me and his words of wisdom were the same words of wisdom I gave to a incredible student last spring where she was trying her best to stay but mom and dad had moved to another church. I told her to follow her family because though its hard and it hurts that this is where you want to be and you feel connected and growing in your faith, you have to move on and I told her these words. "Dont Look Back" - those were the same words my good friend shared with me.

I will share that God has given me some incredible families to do life with. Friends that have stood by us and have reached out in amazing ways through this ordeal because they know who we are, what we are called to and encouraging words to say - KEEP GOING!
So that is what we are going to do ... press onward. I am excited to have a small group of students to invest in and do life with because that is something that Carol and I have wanted to do for over a year now but was unable to with so much going on. I am excited for LifeGroup to kick back up this coming weekend and hit the ground doing life together, sharing Jesus together and serving together! I am also going to continue to be excited about Jamaica next year and going back because that was us being the church. It was an unbelievable experience and one that is life changing.
The road ahead - Elevation church is opening a new campus this September and Pastor Larry has asked us to be part of the launch team. Over a year of praying for this and the timing of it all - well its a God thing. Think about it ~ I sat up in bed that morning not 24 hours after everything unraveled and smiled, Really God? Now? WOW!!
People should be allowed to own their faith. They should be allowed to go and serve, to go on a mission trip, to start a small group, to hold a Bible study, to minister to students and families, to do life with others, to share Jesus with whomever and to make a difference in someones life! Following Jesus - these things you are called to do!
As the scripture says in Mark 9: Dont stop them Jesus said ... if they are doing good in my name - let them do it.
We should be taking the name of Jesus to all ends of the earth. You cannot control a move of God and I am so excited to be part of a church that many cannot explain what is happening there in their short 5 years of being. How do you explain over 2000 baptisms in 2 weekends? Thousands of people coming to hear Gods truth and be part of a God movement in a city like Charlotte NC right in the heart of the Bible belt and so many other churches here.

"Dont look back" I will remember where I have been, the lives I have touched, the faith that has grown, the tears and the smiles, the friendships that will last, the truth that will overshadow the rumors and the journey ahead - because the best is yet to come.

Elevate - upward.
"Whoever is not against us is for us" - which side are you on?

Will - I never got a chance to serve the youth with you but I am really hoping and praying for you to hit the ground the running and making a difference of the lives of the students I spent 5 years with. I owe them my prayers for your ministry field. I am proud of them after everything they have been through and excited with all that God is going to do in and through them. Shine on...... we are on the same team. ~Lonnie

No comments: