Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Question....

I have been asking a very tough question to some of my close kids the last week or so and to be honest.. well..... Happy hump day everyone! Did I ever tell you I have a weakness - M&M's? Oh yeah ...... back to the question :)
So if Jesus came to you in the next moment and asked you a very important question - what would you say? - "_____ - Where are you in your faith today?"
I have had a wild array of answers: - "Its better than last year", "um well I um", "I don't know", "its hard to say exactly", "I'm good" ~ Just to name a few.
Wow, pouring into this student ministry with all my heart and these are some of the answers.
There is a file that I keep a lot of my journal note taking kind of stuff in. It is a collection of things, thoughts, scripture and other such stuff that I am learning over the years and I often read back over them and enjoy "the walk" through.
Funny thing is the file name is not what I would call a normal file name. Its not called - my walk, my journal, what I am learning, or even anything remotely close like that. The name of the file is:
"I am able to do far beyond all that you ask or imagine"

This comes from Ephesians 3:20-21. It reads like this:
Ephesians 3:20-21 (New International Version)
20Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

Does this sound like a piece of scripture that God himself has given us for us to answer a very important question like - Where are you in your faith today with um, better than last year, I don't know..... well...... This is the God that can move mountains in your life. Jesus picked 12 people and they took the message to the world. David had a God on his side and he defeated what couldnt be defeated by an army. Saul the most ruthless killer of Christians became Paul in a flash of light and set the example in starting what we call the church today!
Man, this fires me up because I want that kind of faith! I want to lean back and know fully that God has my back and is with me regardless of how I feel or what I see around me. I want that kind of faith knowing that all I have to do is ask and believe in His promises.
I want to have that kind of faith where I can reach out and touch his robe and be instantly healed because of my faith. I want that kind of faith that my friends have to drag me and cut a hole in the roof to lower me down to be healed because I couldnt get there myself. I want that kind of faith that is shared with those around me, who I can pour into and share life with because of what Jesus has done in my life. I want that kind of faith where your struggles and salvation become a priority in my life above my own wants and wishes.
The people that Jesus healed, the people who lead great things, the people that did life with Jesus and who walked with him in his day ... were just like you and me. Ordinary people.... Simple, complicated, confused most of the time, hurting, struggling, messy, talented, passionate, loving, compassionate people - but they believed in the God like Ephesians 3: tells us.
He can move mountains in your life and He is still in the miracle making business. He is BEYOND all you can ask or imagine. Sounds like a 1st round draft pick but even better. Why would you not pick Him for your team? Team Captain probably.......

So, what stops you from picking Him? What keeps you from really believing and claiming His power in your life? In your family?
Student ministry is a hard place sometimes. There are many moments of hurt, tears, awake nights, family time that is not shared, tough conversations but I have this calling on my life. Thankful and blessed for sure without a doubt because I am getting the front row seat to so many young and passionate students who love Jesus and seeing them do amazing things! Am I overwhelmed at times.... you bet. Am I scared sometimes,.... almost all the time. Do I believe that God can move mountains in my life, my walk, in the lives of students and their families? You bet I do ....... That mountain is there to be climbed.... You with me?
I tell many of my close students who sometimes appear to be unplugging, wandering, and sometimes lost.... "stick with me ....... we will climb this together." I mean that when I say it ... and sad that I have to say that as much as I do. So today ..... its
Time to get my climbing gear- Who is with me? Opportunities are ahead.......
Lonnie~

No comments: