Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Exciting day today~

This is a day that my family and I just cant wait for - Its our church service in the park. We will be serving pizza at 6pm and then service begins at 6:30. Baptism afterwards is always a special heart felt moment not only for those being baptised but also for their families as well as our church family. I know of 2 very special and close peeps that are being baptised tonight and I can't wait to post a few pictures tomorrow.

There is a lot going on. I got a chance last night to help a close family in our rock group move last night and then run to Hickory Ridge High school where I was invited to attend a band performance by one of my students. I had a feeling that she was not the only one I would know and even though I showed up tired, stinky, hot, hungry and did I mention tired? - They didnt care. I got to see a good bunch of our students on stage all decked out and performing. It was pretty awesome and they didnt care about anything other than the fact that someone important in their life was there to watch them. We all need that kind of person in our lives and in the lives of our children. I am blessed Kyle has speaking to him some awesome trusting people.
It has me thinking on a few things this morning. With a busy week already planned and in motion. A month of June that is jammed packed with student ministry things happening and me looking for some time to cut the grass, spend time with Carol, have one on one time with Kyle and a little time with Kate before she leaves to go home for a handful of weeks for the summer... life is on the fly. One thing that has me thinking is the time I spend with a good bunch of my close kids. My model to show them Jesus is not about me telling them all the time what they should be doing. It can't be me putting a lesson or a challenge in front of them. We can't always be having those big talks when we are together. There has to be time for smiles and for SHOWING them Jesus. How do I do that affectively?
I think one of the big things is just spending time with them - if its meeting them where they are or getting a handful of kids together to go shop for cupcake mix and an icecream afterwards. Its spending and investing in them as I go about life. I do know that I have a small handful of kids that have my back. Meaning I could go and do and not have to worry about anything. I would hate for those relationships to not be that close - it would really hurt and I do struggle with that. I am grateful though for those who I know without any reservations have my back. Those are the students that call me on my birthday.... a few times. :)
So often my family and I head to the cabin for the weekend or even over night at times. We are rarely alone in that treck to our "little piece of heaven". Its about doing life together and in order to show people Jesus - it has to be real - it has to authentic... nothing fake about it but more importantly - it has to be our lifestyle. See following Jesus can't be a Sunday morning or Wed evening thing. It can't be turned off and turned on. Vision never really shuts off and when it has taken the heart - the body and mind will follow.

I am so in Friday mode for some reason. Maybe its the long weekend - the excitement for tonight and enjoying some down time where I just get to attend this worship service and won't have any big responsibility other than walking along with students and their family and sharing in such a special evening like tonight. I am already in Kenny mode and I know when my mind, heart and soul gets in tune with Kenny's tunes...I know its time for a rest. His music speaks to my soul and his music is my life being lived in those songs.
I am looking forward to putting my toes in the sand on the coast of somewhere beautiful with no place to be - being as we are.
Pictures tomorrow~~
Lonnie~

No comments: