Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Thursday lunch to remember...

Kind of a dreary day out today. I am much more a sunshine person! So I don't think I would do with living in a place like Seattle that has weather like this most of the year. But today - A lot of sunshine was casted on me and a few others who went with me to the Center of Hope for lunch. Didn't seem right as we were listening to these wonderful outreach and loving people tell us about all they did to reach the hurting and we are enjoying a wonderful lunch. The Center of Hope is run by the Salvation Army and its the largest woman and children's center in the southeast. They are over capacity which you are probably not surprised. They have families living on the floors but I bet they are happy to have a warm place to rest their heads.
It is such an amazing place in what they are doing there. I talked about compassion on people the last few days and being gentle - It is hard to believe babies that are just born and they come home from the hospital to begin their life with their families and its a homeless shelter. Its hard to believe that people 85 years old who have worked and raised families are in a place like this with nothing. How can we not have compassion and a deep love for people - especially those who are in a place in life that is this hard. It was obvious that faith and the love of Christ was there. It was in the hearts of everyone I spoke to. I bet faith is a big part of even the people that come through the doors because they need it, maybe they have lost it - but its also a place to remind them of what it is all about. The love and grace of Jesus with being his hands and his feet. I am excited to be serving meals in the kitchen soon. I am excited to be bringing eye opening experiences to not only to me, my family, church, but also to our kids and students. As we were leaving today and passing through the doors - there was a family that was behind us. Mom was holding the hand of a little girl. She was so cute, she was about 3 I would say. It is cold and raining here and the little girl began to cry. I am not sure why but it really was hard not to just walk over and give her a hug. To tell her its going to be ok. Those are tears loved ones, they are the same as mine, the same as yours and come from places in our hearts that are the same. There is an empty place there that is being filled with the worst pieces that life has. She doesn't deserve this nor did she ask for it. It is a place in life where this family finds itself. I am not to judge but to be the hand that reaches out and helps.
This morning in my quiet time - I knew going into today that it would be an emotional and very overwhelming day but also exciting. I will share with you my quiet time.
John17:20-26
Jesus Prays for All Believers
20"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 24"Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. 25"Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."
Lord I am praying that there won't be any more just passing by. No more walking along the roads of life and looking the other way. No more seeing families and students hurting and not wanting to get involved. Lord your love is shown through the reach and willingness to get involved by those around us. I am excited to be on the door step of helping Lord. They are as you have said - the least of these. They too are important and worth reaching out to. Lord move us in our hearts to get involved. Move fear from our hearts so that we may experience the compassion that you so much have for us even if its just a tiny piece of it. Lord thank You for today and the experiences. I thank you for the people at the Salvation Army who are serving so hard to those in need. I pray for those who are coming through their doors Lord who need help. May they find comfort, rest and more importantly you while they are there. Be with us now as we plan, dream and move being your hands and feet Lord. I pray all these things in your sons name in Jesus,
Amen

No comments: