Sunday, October 11, 2009

A new path in lifes walk

Sunday night ... its been a weekend to remember for sure. My dad and his fiance was married Saturday. It was a day with many emotions for sure. I do want nothing more than for my dad to be happy. It has been 3 years since mom passed and it has led my dad down some long dark paths during that time. It was such a blessing for my dad and for the family when Neila came into it. She is very much a God loving woman and I am especially thankful for her. A step mom. Wow... I always thought those words were for someone elses family but its not anymore. I am good with it and want nothing more than my dad and Neila to be happy and to build a life together. So as we venture this new walk with our paths now together I pray there will be many great memories in the future.
I want to take a moment and share what I said during my talk to address the families Saturday. It was a message that I got lots of handshakes and lots of compliments on - even a few AMENS! I also wanted to take a moment to thank Aunt Sharon, Uncle Buster and their friends for serving and putting this celebration together. It was a great day for sure.
I printed this and placed it in a nice frame for my dad and Neila. Nobody ever remembers the toast speech, the effort it takes to write, the emotions that go into it ... everyone always remembers just the toast. So that has changed... and I think its a good one :)

It has been an eventful past couple of years to say the least.
I never thought I would be standing here today witnessing the union of my dad and Nelia in marriage. As our families are joined together this day, I am reminded of what love really means.
Until the good news of Jesus Christ burst onto the human scene, the word LOVE was understood mostly in terms of seeking one’s own advantage. Loving the unlovely was incomprehensible. A loving God reaching down to sinful humans was unthinkable.

Love says:
I respect you; I care for you; I am responsible for you;

1 John 4:8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
The important thing to remember here is that God loved you first. A good marriage is not “made in heaven” but here on earth. Carol and I have been married for 20 years now and I have learned that love is a fragile commodity which needs to be cultivated and nourished constantly. And I am still learning those lessons….
Billy Graham said: “The perfect marriage is a uniting of 3 persons – a man, a woman, and God. That is what makes a marriage holy. Faith in Christ is the most important of all principles in the building of a happy marriage and a happy home.”
I fully believe with all my heart that God is at the center of your marriage. You both have found something that is more valuable than happiness. You have found “joy” in each other through Jesus.
Proverbs 24:3-4
3 By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established;
4 through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures.
I never thought I would have a step mom... that was always for someone else’s family. Kyle never thought he would have a grandma again. We are thankful that he does now and has a chance to experience the love of a grandmother that he so much misses. Lots of Banana pudding doesn’t hurt either :)
Dad – Neila may your marriage bring many good memories. May it bring many rare and beautiful treasures… not only for here in this life but heavenly treasures as well.
We look forward to sharing this journey that is ahead for both of you. We love you and I know that my mom is smiling in heaven today.

No comments: