Monday, October 26, 2009

Monday thoughts....

Do you have 37 seconds? Doesn't sound like much does it? For some, it may feel like a long long time. Those 37 seconds for some dads, they are all they have in spending time talking with their children. Yes I know, sad. But that is the world we live in today. Busy for sure and I think I am guilty at times as well. See sometimes reaching a teenager is hard. Sometimes its awkward as anything. Especially when there is zero trust. Especially when you are an adult and you're labeled in with other know it all adults and thus I am not going to do anything you tell me. Hard place for sure for both ends. 37 seconds is not a lot of time if one is really wanting to know whats going on in the others life. It may be that child at home or it may even be that student in your care at school or at church. 37 seconds can be life changing though and impactful beyond anything you could imagine. But ----- it has to start somewhere in order for it to grow, get better, establish trust and for each to feel wanted, valued and loved. 37 seconds may be just long enough to listen and let the important things come out.... Yesterday was just that.
After our student message yesterday - I was asked to do a few announcements and then close it to dismiss the students. I started with a raise of hands of those who have been helping with the haunted trail that our church is doing for the community on Friday and Saturday nights. See - its not all about the scares and the spooky stuff - its about what happens at the end of their walk when the trail is over and everyone is excited and scared already. We have a few minutes to share Jesus with them. Each of these students, their families and their friends who come - take part in this. They are part of the body of Christ working together. I told them that their faith is just as powerful, meaningful and alive as my faith is - if they own it. A few other announcements were made ... then just a few minutes to hang out before they left. I had a student come to me along with her friend and began a conversation about the last time they were there. She wanted more haunted trail information and I shared that with her but more importantly is that I remembered her. I asked where she had been and the last time there she sat at this particular place ... and she smiled big. She began to tell me that she would be grounded if her parent found out she was at our church. I am not sure whats going on but she did tell me she would be back when she could. I felt it in my heart yesterday that those 37 seconds will pay off. I have a heart feeling that she will be back and will be looking for me when that time comes.
So how do we make those 37 seconds count? If you have been reading this blog for any amount of time you know my passion for these students. For them to know and have a relationship with Jesus. No matter where they are in life or what has been done to them or what they have done - Gods grace extends to them ... personally. They matter, they count .... we have to work hard to be authentically available to them. They have to know we care about them. We may not have the answers to their problems or even their questions but to be available to listen and know that our heart hurts for them because their hearts are hurting too.
The last few weeks I have really been focusing on intensity. Removing some of the distractions in my life and daily walk to be more focused. What is dragging me down? What is building me up? Who and how am I reaching? When I talk to my kids do I sound like I am just preaching to them or am I really listening? What is God teaching me right now? What is moving around in my life so that God can speak to my heart? I am not focused on my struggles as much as I am focused on what is it Lord you want me to learn in that struggle?
Getting back to basics - ground zero.... a time in life where God was on fire. There's the passion, there is the focused intensity .. there is the real message. There is the change we so desperatly need. It all comes through Jesus. Start to finish...
Yes doing ministry is hard, its exhausting at times and the lows are low but the highs are higher. But 37 seconds could be life changing to someone. 37 seconds may be all a student needs to an avenue to talk and bring healing. 37 seconds could be a reminder that they are important and cared for. 37 seconds from someone investing in them other than their parents... think about it .... Someone other than their parent taking a genuine interest in their life can give them confidence like never before. A sense of belief, not just in themselves, but from someone else can be empowering – even life-changing – for a student. You breathe these words every time you build relationship with them.
Relational Youth Ministry ...... might be 37 seconds to send a text before that big game. 37 seconds to get info on showing up at a students concert or wrestling match. 37 seconds to post a world of encouragement on a facebook page. It all happens in small steps, one at a time... not always forward but committed steps regardless.
I have always been told before I started in this childrens ministry and student ministry - show me a child and they will show you their parents. That couldnt be further from the truth. I am also learning ... show a student Jesus and He can change a family.
Lord, I am praying hard for our students today and their families. Life happens and sometimes it gets to out of focus Lord we just get lost and life just spirals out of control. Help us remove the distractions today Lord so that we may just pause long enough to focus on you. Help us focus on the important things in our family relationships and the relationships between our students and our leaders in our churches who love and care deeply for them. Keep them encouraged and their hearts pure in being an example for you. Satan today has his grip on our families Lord and I pray for healing and intolerance to so many issues our families face today. Things are the way they are because of a lack to get involved, to lead and to do the hard things. Give us courage Lord to do what is right and what our families need. I thank You for placing it on my heart Lord this care and love I have for our students and our children. Teach me, keep my heart for the things of you and with your motives Lord for the days ahead. Committed steps Lord with you leading the way. I pray all this in your sons name in Jesus,
Amen

No comments: