Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Struggle...

Decisions ... Decisions. They are tough sometimes. I had a moment last night while swimming with Kyle to talk about decisions. As the leader of the family, something he will be one day, we must make wise and sound decisions. We can't always base a decision on our feelings or even with what we WANT to do. Sometimes we have to make decisions to do what is best for the family. I don't ever remember a conversation like that growing up. If it did happen - sorry pops - I just don't remember them :) - but I do have to say that money and debt is such an important thing to understand - especially when it comes to our kids and the lessons we are teaching them even as we practice and teach them how we handle money, finances and debt. These things have such a huge impact on our lives.
After much prayer and council from others - I am moving forward with a decision and one that if it works out will be a good long term decision. In my quiet time this morning I am in Jeremiah 29. It is speaking about the children of God (Israel) being in exile.
7 And work for the peace and prosperity of the city where I sent you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, for its welfare will determine your welfare.” 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. 14 I will be found by you,” says the Lord. “I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes.

Exile is defined by dictionary.com:
1. expulsion from one's native land by authoritative decree. 2. the fact or state of such expulsion: to live in exile. 3. a person banished from his or her native land. 4. prolonged separation from one's country or home, as by force of circumstances.
So many of us are in a place in our lives where we are in exile. We are basically in a place where we don't want to be. Either it is from some poor choices or by something else that has caused us to be where we are today like sickness, loss of a business or job. We are wandering and looking for directions. Our lives are not so much in exile from our home country but is more like our exile in being alone as we struggle with finding a new job, getting our life back together, saving a marriage, getting out of debt; basically overcoming the circumstances that we are facing today. Its not right that most Americans run thousands and thousands on their credit cards. Debt controls them and keeps them a slave to the lenders. They can't give the way they want to, they can't help that family, they can't invest like they need to because they are trapped and in exile - slaved to the lenders.... credit cards, mortgage company...etc.
So many times we must make decisions based on what is right and what is best ~ NOT what we want or what we feel.
Debt controls your freedom loved ones. It presses down the ceiling of life..... and we feel its weight don't we?

Lord I pray today for wise and sound decisions. I pray for those around me to seek Your council as I am seeking it. I pray for those decisions to be worthy of praise and honor for you. I pray that Your hands guide us in the decisions ahead. Help us have the wisdom to do what is right and not what we feel or want to. Sound choices Lord as we seek the long term gain and not the shortsighted gain that turns into a loss. I pray these things in your sons name, Amen

No comments: