Wednesday, June 17, 2009

New read.....

and with a new read comes new learning... that I am excited about. Everyone has to have seasons of growth. It is especially true in our understanding of God. There has to be time in between big things to grow into what we are learning. I think I am in that season right now. Honestly the last week or so - I have not even opened my bible but have been praying extra hard for direction and peace. At church leaving the leadership role in a vital and important ministry has left me a feeling a little disconnected even though I am needing the down time. I am needing the rest and a new challenge into something new. I just have not put the steps down to rest and also put the steps down to move onto the next thing God has called me to move onto. I know it will happen in time and some things need to pass and some things need to line up in order for these things to happen.

The other day while looking for a new read ... I remembered that my buddy Mike got me Tony Dungy's book for my birthday last year. Wow, a few days into this book and it is really good. It has me thirsty for football season but also in awe of his commitment to Jesus and following Him. One of the parts in it was his bible study when he moved to Minnisota to be head coach there was the study time in Nehemiah. I have not read much in the Old Testament ... but after some prayer and asking the Lord to just make this book clear to me - give me something Lord in english and that is easy for a guy like me to understand. So far...... well lets just start from here.

Nehemiah: 3 They said to me, "Those who survived the exile and are back in the province are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire."
4 When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven. 5 Then I said: "O LORD, God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and obey his commands, 6 let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer your servant is praying before you day and night for your servants, the people of Israel. I confess the sins we Israelites, including myself and my father's house, have committed against you. 7 We have acted very wickedly toward you. We have not obeyed the commands, decrees and laws you gave your servant Moses.
8 "Remember the instruction you gave your servant Moses, saying, 'If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations, 9 but if you return to me and obey my commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name.'
10 "They are your servants and your people, whom you redeemed by your great strength and your mighty hand. 11 O Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your servant and to the prayer of your servants who delight in revering your name. Give your servant success today by granting him favor in the presence of this man." I was cupbearer to the king.

This is just so clear to me that if God is part of the solution - there is nothing that cannot be fixed. No matter where you have been or how far you are from God - letting Him into your life will bring things together. If you have a marriage that is struggling and maybe some bad things have built walls between it - God can knock down those walls. Husband and wife can again begin fresh and work on things like they were new. If you have a son or daughter that is lost and you are at the end of the rope - God can bring that child back. He can fix that relationship.

I know some dear loved one in my life right now that the ground is shaking and solid footing is hard to find in their relationships - their futures .... and I know with all my heart that if God became the focus of their hearts...... there would be a new direction. There would be new purpose for them. There would be healing and a new comfort. There is always 1 though that wants it more than the other. 1 always wants out of the marriage - there is always 1 that doesn't want a relationship with the parent or son/daughter ..... someone is always left holding everything while the other is doing their thing. This passage tells me there is hope for that other person.......
I look forward to more study time in Nehemiah as well as time in Tony Dungy's book. I can feel a change in the air ..... with new directions, new purpose and I am praying its CONTAGIOUS. There is no place You can't reach Lord. I have always loved roller coasters .... and its that feeling of going over the edge as the excitement builds as you climb to the top - expecting the rush ..... and then you look around and see what the view has in store.

Lonnie~

No comments: