Monday, June 29, 2009

Heavenly Arms.....

What a great weekend. Carol and I got to have a few friends over on Friday night. Out on the deck over some burgers and dogs.... with tunes playing. It was great to get to know some new families that have been on my heart for months now. It was good to get a chance to talk, have some fun and just enjoy each others company. It really was a great evening and a MUST to have happen again. My dad and his girlfriend came to visit on Saturday. We got to see dad bowl down in Matthews and enjoyed a meal out afterwards. It is always good to see them - It makes me smile knowing that dad is smiling again. He looks happy and that makes me happy. He has been through a lot with the passing of my mom even after 3 years ... that pain never leaves our hearts. Yesterday we were at church. Skipping a week is just an odd place for us since that does not happen all that much - but one thing is for sure - the longer that you are away... the easier it is for the excuses to take priorities. When you are in tune with God and what He is doing in your life, when you are surrounded by people who are also walking with God and when you have a clear vision and direction towards God over your life... it is easier to keep your walk going. Once away for some time .... some disconnection .... it is easy to lose the vision. I guess that is why backsliding is something that happens even to the most connected and plugged in followers of Christ. If it can happen to them it can happen to anyone.
I have several friends who have lost touch with church or who have dropped out and seem to have lost their step with Jesus. Maybe their faith is being tested in different ways or they are questioning if God is even there. Why would he not be? He was with you when things were good ... maybe you just did not notice because you were wrapped up in YOUR life and things. But now that things are hard... He is still there.
So the question is - How much of a grip does God have on you?
One of the darkest places in my Christian experience is the grief I feel over Christians who quit—those who used to be in the race and stretching for the tape with their whole hearts. What happened and why did they pack it in? I've heard it said that "the crisis of life reveals something that has been happening for a long time." In the case of AWOL Christians, I believe that is true. We tend to focus on the shock of the tire blowing out, but in reality there were a lot of maintenance issues that preceded the flashing lights and flares by the side of the highway. That same grief is felt when I see people walking out of church. I see it when they don't come anymore but knowing that God is doing something in and through their children. I see it when they leave because the church doesn't fit them anymore or they don't like the music or something that was said from the stage. I often remind myself that this is GOD we are talking about! How can I not come to church because I don't like the style or it doesn't fit my schedule or I need to take Jr. to the ballgame or whatever. How much grip does God have over your life?
There were a lot of folks missing from church yesterday. I can't help but to notice some of the people who I really pour a lot of energy and passion into when they are not there. I miss them, I miss their connection but more importantly - there is something there that God wanted them to know and they didn't hear it...they didn't get it ... a missed opportunity.

Too many of us are on the side of the road with a blow out. Sidetracked and sidelined. I have to take the van in to get the check engine light serviced. It will cost some $$ but it will be much cheaper than something new or newer. Our life is like that check engine light .... something is wrong but sometimes we dont know what the problem is but many times we have an idea. We sometimes even know exactly what it is. Get to the problem loved ones. Quite doing the same ol things over and over again with the same results. I don't want to leave you on the side of the road, stranded and idle. This passion compels me. It keeps me very honest and humble before God. How about you? Are you running a good race? Does weariness threaten your faithfulness? C'mon, run along side me for a while—I want to show you the phenomenal work that God is doing—not just a long time ago, but in our world today and potentially in our hearts through the summer. The reminder will keep us on track. Are you with me?
Many of us start ....and some don't finish.
I am reminded about a song from 33 Miles - "Come with me"
looking for/You can't see it anywhere anymore
You've been knockin' downfences just to find it
Seems no matterhow hard you try
You can't fill thevoid you have inside
With anythingthe world says is enough
You know that it will never be enough
Come withme
And I will show you Jesus
And Hewill give you more than you could ask or imagine
Come with me
If you're lookin' for a Savior, If you're lookin'for a friend
I know someone you should meet
So come with me
Come with me
Tired of everyday being just another day
You can't take it anymore anyway
You've done everything in your power To change it
Seems no matter howmuch you do -Well all your plans keepfalling thru
You need wings to get you off the ground
For every time theworld has let you down
Chorus
I'm notclaiming to hold all the answers ButI'm holdin' on to the One who does
Come with me and I will show you Jesus
Come with me and Iwill show you Jesus

No comments: