Monday, November 17, 2008

Kids Small Group~

I wanted to share this morning our kids small group lesson from last night. As the big kids (parents) got their meeting started, I huddled the kids together in the office. I asked each of them what it meant to be "Fit". I got some good responses and then asked how does one become fit?
I then asked the kids for 20 situps. We all crossed our legs together and like a giant star in the floor - we did 20 situps together. I then asked for 20 pushups - each of us doing our modified pushups ...some better than others :) - I then explained to everyone that if we did these exercises each day that we would become physically fit. But God has also called us to take care of our spiritual side as well. It makes a body complete when we are physically fit and spiritually fit. Each day we are to read in our bibles and study Gods word just like we exercise our bodies. We can't just workout on Tuesday and expect to be in good shape. We can't just go to church on Sunday and live anyway we want to the rest of the week.
I asked how we could do that - be spiritually fit? The kids shared with me: to read their bibles each day ... Also to do one good thing for someone each day. To be thankful in all things.....I then got a hug from one of "MyKids" and she said - there got that good thing done today! All I could do was smile ... that really meant a lot to me. We then closed in prayer. I rejoined with the big kids in their lesson~
The lesson comes from 1 Corinthians 9
24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.


T.O - has a new commercial out - while in the gym the reporter asks to see his abs. They are 10 pack for sure.... he has earned them and works hard for them. (kyle loves this commercial) He is in shape ....... many of us know that feeling of being pushed when we are running or doing something that really strains us. I know the feeling of running and not knowing if I am going to make that next step without dropping or quitting. We are in that zone .... and we push through it and keep going. Our spiritual side works much that way. Maybe we have come to a place where its tough. Tough to keep going, tough to keep serving, tough because people are talking or pushing us away or we have been hurt in some way.... maybe its not what we expected all this following Jesus stuff. But like an athlete - we have to push through our tough spot in order to break new ground ... we then will reach new understanding and experience something new that we would never have experienced or understood if we just gave up.
Following Jesus is hard - it is tough. Really follow Him for some time and you will agree. We become more about others than we do ourselves but we must remain committed to serving God and learning His word. The end is the result in finishing the race. You competed and finished - as you stand before our awesome God - it will be a proud moment that you can say.... you didn't quit......
Finish strong loved ones and break through your sticking point....... new ground awaits and new understanding is waiting for you to experience - the AWESOMENESS of Jesus.

Praying for many things this morning and for many close to me,
Lonnie~

No comments: