Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful as per dictionary.com - Feeling or expressing gratitude; Appreciative.

Gratitude as per dictionary.com - The quality or feeling of being thankful.

Do you know that it is possible to be thankful but not grateful? See being thankful usually comes from someone doing something FOR you. If someone does something for you and its a positive experience than we are usually thankful. If its not a good experience we are usually not. Being grateful happens regardless if we or someone does something for us. We are grateful for that friendship even though that person may not have done anything for us.

So as I sit down with millions of others tomorrow for Thanksgiving - I will be thinking about Gratefulgiving. I am not only going to be thankful this thanksgiving for all the blessings in my life, all the things I have done to serve others, thankful for all the things that others have done for my family and I but I will be grateful as well. Grateful because I dont deserve any of it. I did not earn any of it and its not because of my works and what God is doing in my life. I did not earn my friendships that mean so much to me -

Mark 12:41-44 - Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in 2 very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything - all she had to live on."

Being grateful leaves a mark on our lives because its in us and regardless of what is happening, what we are going through, what people have done for us - its our heart that shows. Being grateful is showing your heart and that person shines their sunbeams through the clouds. The poor woman Jesus speaks of above in Mark 12 clearly shows us that she gave ALL she had and trusted God with ALL she had to give.
God has called us to be 100% following Him - to be SOULED out for Him. I will be thinking about the children and the families that my heart will get to personally touch this summer when I am in Jamaica. It changes everything when gratitude comes before being thankful. Being thankful is usually on the receiving end and gratitude is on the giving end.
It changes my priorities - It doesnt take a busy season for our priorities to get out of whack. Its easy to fall into the trap of self when our priorities are not aligned with Gods heart. A grateful heart is more open and aware of Gods work in our lives. It helps us understand whats REALLY important. It challenges us in our thinking about our "wants" and our "needs".
Being content in all situations shows us where our spiritual maturity is. Us being thankful trumps our I WANTS. The poor lady who gave all she had was thankful for her spiritual gifts that she has in Christ. We can't help but to have a greater compassion for others when we give Christ everything.
Gratitude builds our faith because we recognize what Christ is doing in our lives. When we think of Gods faithfulness, we position our hearts to trust him more. He has given us everything "we need".
So starting for some of us today and for the next few days - Are you going to be "Thankful" or "Grateful" ? Thanksgiving or Gratefulgiving?

Most people when they read this story they focus on the amount given that the poor woman gave. Its not the 2 coins that matter the most - Its the the 2 coins that represent her heart, her soul, her mind. She totally trusted God in her present and in her future.

"Thankful" to be giving and "Grateful" to do it. Thankfulness is being poured into but Gratefulness is pouring out. I pray that really sinks deep into your hearts and changes some perspectives for you. It has stretched me the last few weeks.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. There is so much to be Grateful for.

Lonnie~

No comments: