Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The last few nights I have changed up my routine and find my mornings way better than compared to the last few months. I have been turning in, hitting the hay, reading and getting some extra sleep. Again this morning, I woke up before the alarm, got my coffee and hit my quiet time with Christ. I am enjoying this refreshing and change of pace. I am also learning a few things along the way. Last night after sleeping for a few hours, I woke with this on my heart.

"Its hard to show someone Jesus when they only see themselves."

I am not sure why God woke me and whispered me this one sentence but it for sure has rocked my morning as I begin to unpack it, examine myself with it and those around me. I am thankful that I went right back to sleep. Usually when this happens I am up the rest of the night wrestling with it. Serving students is sometimes a hard place to be at - especially when you are older like I am. I think allot about my high school and middle school experiences, some of which I want to forget but some I smile and enjoy remembering those much simpler times. It is often difficult walking with a student who trusts you and opens up and so many times I just want to have the words to tell them what to do but I know at this age that is the last thing they want - to be told to do something. Usually they have a parent already telling them that so another voice telling them the same things is twice as frustrating to them. So along with knowing a little wisdom, some prayer sometimes during the conversation, listening to them even if the details are hurting you and then really wanting to lead and guide the student in the right direction. Most importantly, guide them along side what mom and dad are saying, is to bring them to a place where they are thinking along those same lines. Not told what to do, not tricked into doing it, not leaving them there - but just gently guiding them for their own light bulb to go off. Drama is a premium at times and once you wade through it all, you get down to the root cause and there you can begin to build back up.
Why do I do all this I often times wonder?
Its because I am committed to walking with those who God has trusted me with. I am committed to walking this journey with them and to show them Jesus along the way.
Its my next core value.

Commitment~

See without being committed you have no staying power, we give up too easy when things get hard and we waffle back and forth on our views and the things we say. Being committed means you stay the course and finish what you started. Kyle is wrestling now and he has yet to be in a match. He has a match today that there is a pretty good chance his name will be called and Carol and I are extremely excited - win or lose. But going to practice day in and day out and not getting a chance to be on the mat - its easy to get discouraged, to walk away, to quit. Our relationships are just that way. I see if far too often where a dad doesn't know what to do with a daughter or a son who has lost their way. 15 years old and a dad who doesn't have a close relationship with his daughter or son, he is pretty much at a loss as to where to begin, where to start over, what to say and what to do!! Somewhere in the process he lost commitment.

I am committed to seeing my family through the good times and the tough times. I am committed to seeing and being there for the kids in my life who I love like my own. Its who I am and along the way, I am going to learn, strive and do my part to the best I can to make a difference in their life and show them Jesus. I had a coffee a few weeks ago with a student who has given up on Christ. He told me after summer camp he was all fired up but soon lost that excitement. I told him that following Christ was not about following him only during those special events, those highs we get when Christ is doing something in our lives but its the in between as well. Its during the tough times, those quiet times when God doesn't seem like he is there or is answering any of our prayers. Be committed to following Christ and seeking his heart. Only you can decide how close you want to be to Christ. You won't know someone if you don't spend time with them right? That works for your friends, your son or daughter, your husband or wife and it for sure works that way with God.
I will end todays post with this:
Proverbs 11:14 - Without good direction people lose their way; The more wise counsel you follow the better your chances and the better your choices.

Loved ones, if you are struggling with your path today following Christ or just feeling at a lost point - shake things up. Change the routine, get into a small group, reach out to someone who is willing to talk spiritual stuff, study Gods word together, work from another office location if you work from home - meaning go to Starbucks and work for 2 hours instead of being at home, set your alarm earlier and spend an extra 15 min with Christ in the morning. Do whatever it takes to strengthen your walk. Without vision and good direction - you will lose your way.

Hope this was helpful today. Imagine your relationship with God, your family and your close peeps - 100% radical commitment. Its not normal today but with focus, determination and a heart overflowing with compassion - you can do it.
Lonnie~

No comments: