Friday, November 5, 2010

Friday - thank you for arriving. Its been a busy week but a more relaxing week for me. Last night Carol and I got to go to Kyle's wrestling match. Sad he was not participating because he lost his match the day before so he didn't get to wrestle but it was a good learning experience just to be watching and knowing what to do and how things work. It was hard for me to sit in the stands knowing the moves, seeing them happen and then the kids not doing them. I was almost out of my seat a few times ... I know crazy huh?
YCI was good this morning and just this week I was reminded as to WHY I take time off of work and pick up a van full of students and take them to school on Friday mornings. Often times they are sleepy, not much talk, grumpy or some other kind of issue they are having at the moment and then drop them off at YCI Praying God will speak to them and set their day straight. That wont happen if I don't do all this shuffling of folks around. Todays message was about trusting God. Even as Peter cut the ear off one of the soldiers, Jesus stopped it, picked up the mans ear and healed him. I bet as the other soldiers carried him away to be eventually killed on the cross, the man with the new ear probably was changed for life. We may not understand everything that is going on around us but our trust in Christ will keep us focused during those times we don't understand. I got some high fives and even a few hugs on my way out. An hour spent investing in just putting a van full of students in a place for Christ to do what only He can do. I can do that and isn't that all that Christ asks of us? Just do the simple things so that He can do the big things? What seems mundane at times, a waste of time at other times ... is so much bigger than what we can see.
A few weeks ago I wanted to ask the question to some of my close students. After LOL at McDonalds I got a bunch of them together and asked them to team together and give me a list of the 5 top shows they watch on tv. They wrote them down and then gave me the list. I want to watch what these students are watching. Note take the main message, if I liked it or not and reasons why and also the type of commercials and what and who they are targeting. I will have those results soon as I get this together and hopefully not offend anyone with my results.

The other night as we ate at Red Lobster - I shared a little vision with Carol, Kyle and Zach. I told them that I was feeling tired, in need of some spiritual rest and that I needed to spiritually lead my family for the next season. So I told them I was taking a good month or so off from leadership at church with the students and would still be plugged in and doing things but just not leading so much in front of everyone. I would still be walking and talking "mywalk" and using this time to grow and really search my heart, have a little fun, dream, and invest into my family. I then unloaded my question which I will share.

So, If you have to define a family core value, what would that be and what would it look like? A couple blank faces too shape. A couple UM ... Well.... repeat the question! Core value? What is a core value and what would it look like? Think about it in your own family.
Core Value - the basics, the foundation of the family, its lean back values that give direction and longevity to the family as a whole. Things that the family will stand on always.
Here is the list that Carol, Kyle and Zach came up with. I think its pretty neat and I am excited to be praying about them. I look forward to implementing them into our family core values.

~Respect
~Time
~Meals together
~Love
~Honesty
~Passion
~Compassion/Effort
~Cleanliness
~Honor

All of these pointing towards honoring God with them. My plan is over the next few days is to break these down and share what God is teaching me, showing me and living through me. Hope you stick with me ... on "thewalk"

Happy Friday everyone,
Peace and love,
Lonnie~

1 comment:

Special K said...

Awesome...
As a former Scout for many years, I've tried to instill in my family those repeated every week during scouting activities. And I try to live by then still today.
A Scout is -
Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Curtious
Kind
Obiedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
Reverant

Rock on...