Monday, August 2, 2010

I am almost fully recovered from Thirst Camp - it was awesome being at church yesterday and seeing most of the students there and the chest bumps, high fives and smiles. Thirst Camp is an amazing week and I don't even know where to begin to explain all that God did last week. He showed up big time in some lives and hearts but some - for whatever the reasons was not allowed to touch some hearts. All I know is my voice is still cracking from singing during the worship time each evening, small group leading, time spent with students in prayer and conversations plus all the work done in the community. WOW - what a week. For those who struggled last week, I pray that God touches your heart this week as you reflect back. I pray that you dont add another brick to the wall that you have up to protect yourself and keeping you from experiencing what God has for you. May He break those walls and wreck your life for the things of Him. May he ruin you to the point where crying is ok. Serving people has emotion and meaning. Where seeing hungry people breaks your heart to the point where you are wanting to do something. May He heal you and build you as He shapes you into the person that He wants you to be. Last Wed night at the evening service - I had arms wrapped around my waist from a rising 6th grader who was having a time with God. She wept and wept and wept and I held on to her for I guess an hour or more. Worshiping and singing as she cried and God really was moving in her. I spoke to her afterwards and told her I was so proud of her and that God was moving her heart. No matter what has happened in her life or what she has done - dont look back - start from this point forward. It was such an honor to share in that experience - it makes a tough week so much more! Signed on my shirt this year from another student - I luv you UL - you are my root. I totally get it .... roots grow deep and are stable and through Christ, for this one student, I am there as her root.
A knock on the door as I finished up writing in some of the students journals - came a letter written to me - thanking me for inviting her and how her life is so different now after accepting Christ last week. How life now is so much better and that things will change. I never gave up on this student when so many have. I knew God was going to do what He does if I just did what I would do. Boldness of Christ ..... its the example of the early Acts 2 church. Lord make us BOLD for you and in doing so we get a front row seat into the miracles of death to life in people.
Today I am in Matthew 6:31-33.
If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers - most of which are never even seen - dont you think he will attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to Gods giving. People who dont know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both GOd and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, GOd-initiative, God-provisions. Dont worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.
We touched the lives of many last week for Christ. As I sat in McDonalds last week over a sweetea with 8 students one afternoon an elderly man walked up and introduced himself. He wanted to know more about our shirts that the students had on - Thirst Camp 2010. I told him the story of camp and what we were doing in the community and he got really excited with a big smile. He was excited that these young people were putting faith into action and turning a word into a verb. Faith with no deeds is a dead faith and this gentleman was excited to see the Lords work through these students. He ended with shaking my hand and thanking me for leading them - God Bless.
Hearts are changed this week loved ones, don't look back - our faith starts right here and right now. Look forward and meet God in those next moments... he is already there waiting on you.
Lonnie~

You can give without loving but you cant love without giving. Lord we gave you a week to do something that only you can do. You kept your promise in answering our prayers. Continue to help us grow in the things of you, challenge us, break our hearts, ruin us Lord so that you can shape us and build us back up in the things of you. I understand now why I fight tears during worship, over a student who is hurting, why they keep me up at night and how a few simple words on a piece of paper can have my heart.... I understand Lord. Blessed and thankful I understand. Praise your heavenly name Jesus. Its all for your glory. Amen

1 comment:

Sharon Davis said...

Awesome how God shines HIS light through you. Unbelievable! So proud of you.
Love you
Aunt Sharon