Thursday, August 12, 2010

Something Stinks .....

Well not really. It smells pretty good I guess. This thing called ~life. We had about 50 folks show to the student ministry movie outing last night and that is pretty exciting. Though some left before I spoke to everyone like we always do after a movie, some got to hear just a little bit of the passion I have for Christ.
I read something yesterday that just fired me up even more so with the movie Charlie St. Cloud and the message that movie brought to the screen. 2nd chances. We all need 2nd chances in life. Some of us need more than that...and God is all about them. We should forgive those seeking and asking for forgiveness just as Christ has forgiven us. Clean slate - after reading Kate's accountability letter today at lunch with tears streaming down my face ... I am glad that this message has really been hitting me hard the last few days. It has me in such a different place and with her about to move next week across country - it really has put my heart in the right place. I think about all the students in my life who are also just a small choice away from some of the same area's that Kate has walked. They are easy to fall prey into. Satan blinds us and keeps us out of focus of the things of God and honestly, its easy to get caught in that trap. Its easy to focus on the problem instead of the solution. Its easier to walk away from the relationship than it is to own it and honor it by saying "I'm sorry, I have really messed this up." People struggle with forgiveness for years and suffering when its never received but forgiveness is for you. Its the bonding that it holds over you by not giving it to someone who may have hurt you in some way. Most of the time they don't even know that you are hurt until you forgive them. Its a double blessing for sure.
We have 5 senses and in spite of what you see, in spite of what you smell, in spite of what you taste, in spite of what you hear, in spite of what you feel~ Know that YOUR God is able.

In spite of what we see - know that YOUR God is able to overcome it. That problem that you are focused on can be overcome. That relationship that you don't see how could be restored, God can repair and rebuild it. That marriage that looks dead, God can make it stronger and better than before. When we focus on the things that keep us down, we can't get up and move on.
I can remember back to the beginning of the year and in our student ministry we had a growth spurt and students were coming in and hearing about Jesus. After that series "To Save a Life" things looked like they lost some steam. Some students fell off and our normal numbers the past few month backed off. Instead of focusing on what was wrong, focusing on those students leaving, I tried to focus on God and the students he placed in our hands. Those relationships today are strong, those students are walking closer to God today and I believe they will help lead other students when school starts again in a few weeks and again we see new faces and new hearts ready to hear about Christ.
Loved ones, we have to keep our eyes on Christ to get through the valleys in life and focused on Christ to get us up over those mountains we climb in life. My spiritual gift is the gift of encouragement and in doing so - I have to focus on the good in all things, all people and all situations. If I did not... I would be looking at the problems, the mess that people leave behind, and in those tough things that take place in life.
Romans 15:4
For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the scriptures we might have HOPE.

No matter what you are looking at today dear ones, KNOW that YOUR God is able.
Lonnie~

No comments: