Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Thorns....

I am glad I have a little margin at times in my life. I was reminded that this morning that guys don't have a clue about locating things. Like - we do but we don't ask for directions! I am also reminded that ladies don't know how to fix a flat tire. I got that call today - odd its the 2nd time in like a week to go change a tire. Hey I am good with that and always willing to lend a hand to help. Without margin, for sure it would be upsetting because time is the most important thing these days. I am also reminded that we make time for the important things in life. If you value those things - you will make time for them. What is eating up your time? Can't get up for church on Sunday mornings? Well there is an alarm clock on your cell phone - set it and make time for it if its that important to you. That was free - don't know where that came from. :)

Anyways - Thorns. Riding last week up the hills and trails there are a lot of sticker bushes that seem to just lean out and grab you by the arm, knuckles, legs and scratch the crap out of ya. Not sure how they do that but it always seems to happen. Then you get these little sticker pointed needle things in your skin you have to take them out one by one. They hurt - they bleed and sometimes scar.

Paul shares with us in 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 his version of a thorn.
even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud. 3 different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. Thats why I take pleasure in my weakness, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Do you ever wonder why Paul didn't tell us what this thorn was? I am so glad he didn't because to each of us - we have our own version of a thorn in our lives. We may be struggling with something 0r with someone. We may have an addiction or some sin in our lives and that thorn that Paul talks about is left up to us to examine our own lives and find out what that thorn is. See sometimes in order to remove that thorn further damage must take place. The trial is not over yet. There is more to learn through this trial - but like any thorn and season in time - its temporary. You will get past it! God will see you through it.
I remember when I was a kid and I would be walking on my parents deck around the pool and get a splinter in my foot. Mom, used to heat up a needle with the standard remedy - a match and spit. Then once completely ready for the operating room sterile - the procedure began. She dug and dug and poked and pulled .... it was like she was digging through my entire foot! Eventually getting the splinter out. She had to do more damage to the area to remove the splinter. Lots of times in our lives, we have to do damage to get the sin out of our life. For some that may look like an accident before you quit drinking. Getting married after having the baby. It may be trying to take the words back from a dear friend after a fight and hurtful words took place.
At some point there is a wake up call - drinking and driving is no good. Sex before marriage is no good. Using words to break down people is no good. God lets these thorns come into our lives to keep us humble and proud. Like Paul who prayed 3 times for God to take his thorn away - God showd Paul his purpose. Gods power works best in our weakness. We have to be in a broken place sometimes to see God for who he really is. We need Him - I need Him. I have written on my calendar here at work - Lord, I can't do this alone~
A simple reminder for me to keep focused, to keep humbled and if really my prayer is from the heart for God to use me for His purposes and mission - then this is the place I need to be. The thorns in our lives often times comes with pain and pain is, unfortunately a great teacher.
Learn through your thorns loved ones. They won't last forever for everything has a season.
It may be time to put that drink down, dump that relationship that keeps you in bondage and in full swing of the drama, or it may be time to have that heart to heart with a close friend. Learn from the thorn and move on.
Move on ..........

Lonnie~

1 comment:

Sharon Davis said...

There is no standing still with God, you are either going forward or backwards. We have to let go and go on, only looking backwards to realize what we've learned. We have to reach the finish line.