Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A short story .....

As some of you know, many moons ago, I had Olympic stars in my youth. I never had that dream fulfilled but continue to love the Olympics and watching dreams come true for so many of our worlds athletes.
1992 - Barcelona Spain - Derek Redmond of Great Britain was on his way to winning the 400 meter. The gun sounded and Derek was out front leading the pack. He was running the race of his life. Suddenly, a sharp pain pierced his thigh and he fell to the ground. He has tore his hamstring and he watched as his gold medal dreams came to pass as the other runners ran right past him. He got up and determined to finish the race. Hobbling on one leg with the finish line in site his dad appears on the scene as he busts through security and onto the field. His dad with tears in his eyes telling his son "You don't have to do this." Derek replied to his father- "Yes I do." Derek with his face in his fathers chest and with tears in his eyes walked across the finish line together. The crowd cheering and all standing as they witnessed those amazing moments. It touched everyone who witnessed this amazing story unfold. A son's determination and a father love and support.
I remember watching this amazing story - I think about it this morning and it touches my heart even more so today. See, I want to be that father who doesn't stand on the sidelines of life. I want to be in the lives of "MyKids". I want to know when they are hurting or when they are sick. I want to share in the victories of their day and in their defeat when its been a tough one. I want to be a "refuge" to not only Kyle but to many. Where they can come and be encouraged. Where they can come and in the mist of their troubles be reminded that God is in there with them. I don't want to carry "MyKids" but I want to walk with them. I want them to live life differently than what society tells them and sells them as truth. I know I am not going to be able to do this for all the kids that God has entrusted me with. There will be parents who don't get what my heart is breaking for. But for those who allow me to walk with them - You have me. I want to pour into you. I want to walk with you. I want to show you Jesus and you can show me Jesus.
What this means is - I have to ignore the stares and ignore the differences because this has a bigger purpose. Its what I have been called to do and I am praying for each step of this journey.
Do I see where this road leads? Nope... but I know that the Lord is leading me by the hand. I trust Him and I want to bring Him glory on this journey. Hopefully, prayers answered and lives changed along the way.
For those who are walking with me today - I love you with all my heart. Blessed to be off the sidelines. Far too many parents are living a life on the sidelines in life. I am not that story.
It may be risky, it may be unwise, it may be hard at times.... but in the end - one day... It will be worth it to hear Kyle or any one of "MyKids" say - "Thank You"
This speaks volumes to me this morning.
Luke 6:45
45The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.
May your life be an encouragement and a blessing to all those who are around you today.
Lonnie~

No comments: