Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Boundaries....

I want to share this and get some things off my chest this morning. I want to talk about boundaries. You know those things that are in place that keep our lives from going too far off the path. See its when we live outside those boundaries that life seems to hurt the most. Not saying that life is easy within the boundaries and guidelines but it sure is easier.
I remember back when I was a kid and my family and I visited YellowStone. I hope someday to take my family back there and maybe even a few of "MyKids" who would otherwise never have a chance to see such a place of beauty the way God created it. I think about the park boundaries and the safety that the park provides the animals stay within the park. Those animals live the way they are supposed to live - free. But once outside - they are like any other animal ... they can be hunted and killed. Farmers have rights to protect their farm lands and businesses which mostly means cattle. Within the park boundaries - life goes on just as it has for thousands of years. If we look at our lands today - we have fencing that provides the animals the boundaries on the farm. Life is good. If we keep the animals in the stalls and in the barns well we have to work extra hard at keeping them. See, while in the boundaries - they have everything they need. Outside those boundaries.... life takes a turn and probably for the worst.
Our walk in this life is very much the same. God has given us the boundaries to live our lives.
Lets look at Psalm 23: 1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
James 1:25 -25But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.
John 8:32 -Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
I have been giving this concept of boundaries a lot of thought and prayer lately. Its something as a parent, its vital to our success in raising our children. Its vital to our own lives and our spiritual journey. Prison is full of people who have had no boundaries or don't respect the boundaries that society has put in place. When we tell our children to operate in these set parameters and they instantly challenge us, sneak under them, go over them - we have to worry.
It is such a sweet thing getting to witness our youth making wise and sound choices because so many are not these days... or what seems like they don't. Just look at the news. I can remember my grandma always saying - "this younger generation has no respect for anyone other than themselves." I guess things are much different than when she was raised but the words still ring true to some degree. If only we would make the decision to live life in the boundaries that God has placed on us - surely life would have everything we need as we graze in the green pastures of life. These boundaries and foundations are built on a Father's love. Our kids need them.... too many today are running outside the safe zone ready to be taken down by the enemy. Kids will thrive in this environment. Families will thrive. Marriages will thrive. Its formed and put in place from love, concern and acceptance. Its where the light shines so that you can see the dangers ahead.
Its a tough place when we have to be jerked back inside the fences.... it hurts, its painful sometimes but often times needed. Just as my dad would often say - "this is going to hurt me more than its going to hurt you." I never understood that... but I am starting to. When you love that much. I wonder how God looks at his children and has to yank them back in the protected bounderies and out of harms way. Probably with tears in his eyes.... just like we do with our own children because we want what is best and safe for each and every one of them.
Lonnie~

No comments: