Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Its been a few days...

Since my last post. Sorry for those who come here every day looking for something - for you. This is just a place for me to share my heart and my thoughts.

But this is where I am today. I am excited about my new role at church. I think they are calling it - Student Ministry Director. I am not much for titles ... but I do take the service seriously. I will be teamed with a great handful of folks who will be stepping up the game in our student (middle and high school) ministries. I will be leading, learning, helping, directing, focusing, heart pouring, and whatever else, to reach our youth who are in need of change, in need of something different, a need of direction and focus, in need of feeling loved and cared about and that can only come from Jesus. So as I serve along side some great folks - we will putting things in place for our students to come together, learn about God together, have some fun and build relationships with each other. I am humbled that the Lord has brought me to this place, to serve Him in this capacity and to serve those He will be entrusting me with. This brings me to my heart today.
Are you content where God has you today?
I was in line the other day to pay for gas, get some diet cherry Dr. Peppers (love those things) and a man in front of me was getting a few lottery tickets. I am not against lottery tickets at all - especially with the state scratch off things but this guy was buying a good armful of tickets. By looking and not judging - he probably could have used the money to get a new shirt or some extra gas in the truck. That got me thinking of the chances of winning ...small to none really no matter the dreams of hitting it big. He is putting his money into something that has ZERO return. I have to say I want my investments in life to be put towards eternal and lasting things. I want my life to built around something that doesn't bring fame but brings greatness. Fame is something you do for yourself - Greatness is what you do for others. Money is always nice but it also doesn't buy you happiness. I have met some of the most joyful people in years past and they don't have much on this earth - but they have everything because they know Jesus. A good family that we used to do life with moved away many years ago - they didn't have much but the joy and love that family had for God, for each other, for the things eternal - I will never forget. It has had a lasting impression on me years later.
So again - are you content with where God has you today? What motivates us to make a change in our lives? God is not going to trust you with anything else if you have blown it all or have not done what He has already asked you to do. That marriage that is falling apart - God is in that marriage. The cancer that you just got news about - God is in that cancer. The child that never seems to be on the straights - He is in that child.
Loved ones, God is that change you are seeking. He is that direction and purpose in your life. Those lottery tickets will bring you money, things, different friends probably, but the grass is not always greener on the other side. Be thankful for the things that God has given you today. Complaining, I have heard some complaining in the last few weeks - its hard to listen to. Complaining tells everyone - I don't like this place, I dont like where I am, I dont like this person or thing. I often times wonder how God puts up listening to all of our complaints! Its a miracle He just doesn't get fed up with listening to us ... maybe He does to some extent I don't know.
I will share Philippians 4:11 (The Message)
Content Whatever the Circumstances
10-14I'm glad in God, far happier than you would ever guess—happy that you're again showing such strong concern for me. Not that you ever quit praying and thinking about me. You just had no chance to show it. Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. I don't mean that your help didn't mean a lot to me—it did. It was a beautiful thing that you came alongside me in my troubles.
Paul does an amazing job explaining that no matter the struggle, no matter the victory, no matter the cancer or job loss - God should receive the glory because of it. Being content also bring you to a place where God can use you. Yes Lord, Yes. I am ready...... I am listening. New role at church, new responsibilities, new things to learn, new experiences and challanges. Yes Lord.... Yes.

Lonnie~

No comments: