Friday, March 27, 2009

Open Invitation ~

For the next few weeks leading through the Sunday with Easter - Many will come to church. Some first time folks, some who make their 2 times a year passage through the doors and some who have not been in many years. I am thankful that I am serving our local community church. I am blessed that God has opened my heart and my eyes to serve not only those in our community but also the God who has made everything. As I walk along side so many folks today I am reminded of something that I have held close to me for several years.

God helps us and prepares us to help others. "He comes alongside us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us."

Our lives should reflect the promises that God has given us. Even through hard and difficult times our love and passion for our Lord Jesus should always be on our lips to share and show others. I am thankful for Rocky River Communuty Church - a church that has helped me to know Jesus, that has shown me the practical love of Jesus, that teaches me and challenges me to grow in my understanding of the things of God and helps me connect with others who have the same love of God as I do. We share tough times together, we go through seasons of pain and we also share in the seasons of blessings together.

I love the fact that Rocky River Community Church isn't about helping people become churchy--it's about helping people experience a transformed life in Christ that challenges folks to live out their faith daily in today's culture. Frankly, that's a lot harder than just being churchy. Churchiness is easy. You just follow prescribed rules and do what everyone else seems to be doing.
Real faith is dynamic. It's controversial. It's dangerous. It's constantly growing. It asks challenging questions. It involves mystery. You can't put it in a box. You can't explain it. You can't keep it quiet. You can't out-grow it. You can't out-dream it. It's more focused on others than it is on self. Real faith gives me peace but makes me discontent to let things stay the same.
It's amazing what God can do through a church that embraces that kind of vision for life together. It's revolutionary.

Love you all and hope to see you on a coming Sunday in the coming weeks.
Lonnie~

No comments: