Monday, March 30, 2009

Monday morning Sunshine ~

It was awesome yesterday seeing the sun. After 4 days of rain and nasty dreary weather - the sun was a great addition to a great Sunday. I am doing some "Out of my comfort zone" stuff lately. I have been introduced to this thing called - "Zumba" - from a dear friend of ours. It has swept over our family and through our church and I am sure it will reach into the community level at some point. Honestly, I have never been much on dancing or even looking like I am dancing if you want to call it that :). Last night we had Rock Group at the new studio and I got the chance to be silly with everyone ~ especially the kids. It was a lot of fun and getting to see the other dads there was a hoot. If you know Sherry and Donnie - well, they have a lot of flash, style and an endless amount of energy! The opening of this new studio couldn't have come in more perfect timing for them and as an example for everyone else. As we wrapped up our Rock Group study on Prayer a while back - God opened the doors for this life long dream to become a reality for Sherry and Donnie. Things that normally would not line up to happen have taken place. A place to have a business, furniture, people coming from all over to go, functions for birthday parties and church youth events .... the possibilities are endless and when God is in the details of something... all we can do is hang on. I am so excited for them .......
A few weeks back I challenged our Rock Group folks to spend some time with God each day. We talked about when we should do this and for how long but the big question was actually, "Where do we start?" I asked everyone to begin in the New Testament and in the Book of Matthew. Being honest here, I have been stuck the last few days in:

Matthew 14:
Jesus Walks on the Water 22Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. 23After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24but the boat was already a considerable distance[a] from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.
25During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.
27But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."
28"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."
29"Come," he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"
31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"
32And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."
34When they had crossed over, they landed at Gennesaret. 35And when the men of that place recognized Jesus, they sent word to all the surrounding country. People brought all their sick to him 36and begged him to let the sick just touch the edge of his cloak, and all who touched him were healed.

I am constantly in question of the things I am doing if I am keeping my eyes on Jesus. Keeping my eyes on Jesus brings me out of my comfort zone. So many things I do through my week I know I am doing so for the kingdom of God. Many times these are hard things and things I would have never done on my own. It is not about me but about Jesus. There are times where I just don't feel it when I go into the schools and someone questions me why I am there. There are struggles with, am I doing enough of/and the right things to lead my Rock Group families or reaching out to others in the practical love of Jesus. I want to have the right things to say, the right example to show, to be there for "MyKids" because dad is not around or for some other reason. Making a difference for someone and leaving them full of encouragement from the Lord is so high on my passion list.
I know when things are going good and everything seems to be working - I question myself with doubt about all of it blowing up in my face. Its not a question of "if" - its "When".
So many are losing their jobs, I am thankful I have one and if they wanted to cut my pay - then I am happy to do so just to keep it. I have folks all around me hurting, struggling, and often times questioning where God is in their struggles. I have so many of "MyKids" struggling with so many things ...there is so much I want to invest in them..... I am even reading a book about what a daughter needs from her father... Daughters? ... I don't have any daughters but God has given me so many that I love like my daughters. I am so blessed and thankful that I can invest in them and do life with them. I have even a more exciting book next on "Raising boys to be knights in the kingdom of God"..... can't wait to get into that one!!!
My eyes have to be even more focused on Jesus during these times so that I can show them Jesus. I have walked through some hard things in life and I have to say Jesus has never left my side. He has never let me down and He has always kept His promises. I must do this for others as well because at times everyone needs encouragement, something positive to hear or a practical example of Jesus. Everyone needs to feel wanted, loved and cared for in some way - especially when they are hurting.
Friends, God is using your struggles today to build your character. He is using them to shape who you are in Him. He is using them to show others how you completely rely on Him for all things. He is using them to finally get you to a point in your life where you basically cannot do anything else - except - to fully trust in Him. Its at this place and in this struggle and in your journey in life that God has you where you need to be. Focused on Him and fully relying on Him. It's there, that God uses people and really builds a persons faith and during these storms we grow our faith like never before. Be thankful for these storms in life because they teach us so much. For me, even during the struggles of those all around me - they too are my struggles and a reminder to keep my eyes on Jesus. I don't want to sink or doubt in my faith even an inch. Its my ministry and its not a private one ...as a follower of Jesus, I welcome those who are willing to journey together. With our eyes on Jesus - we too can get out of our boats and walk through the storms in our life fully knowing He will reach out His hands and save us - yet again.
Love you all,
Lonnie~

No comments: