Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A fatherly word.....

I have been in constant thought to some things that our Pastor at church shared and challenged the men in our with church last Sunday. I just can't seem to shake it and many of you know that the kids I am doing life with are so very important to me, the kids at church are so important to me, the kids I go to the schools and have lunch with are so important to me - especially the ones without 2 parents at home ~ especially the ones who need that something extra in their lives ~ especially the ones who are struggling socially and in who they are..... man my heart just hurts for them. I look around me and really just have to be besides myself at where God has placed my heart. Yes I know that my son Kyle - I am his father but its also my obligation and what we are called to do for Jesus - in being there for others. Kyles friends ... the kids in Sunday school and in my rock group and in our church family.
Yesterday was a snow day and a day that God used me to invest in some of "MyKids". See - just being there is something they don't have. I may not be their father but I am a fatherly example. I am there to show them love and to show them Gods ways by my actions and example. There is something wrong when a child wants to hang out with me more than their parents. I am ok with it but there is something broken there and I will continue to serve the Lord by serving "MyKids".
Hearing the words, "Uncle Lonnie - come sit with me." "Mr. Lonnie - PLEASE get me a ticket to the ball game so I can go with you." "Unce Lonnie - I want to hold your hand while I learn this bible lesson." "Uncle Lonnie, can you come have lunch with me?" "Mr. B - can I ask you something?"
You know as parents we get so wrapped up into doing our thing. I mean we have work and a house to run, yard work, running errands, a real grown up life - I mean we barely make time to sit as a family these days and share a meal together. I think about all the kids who are at home and wanting to say - "Daddy, please come sit with me." but dad is not there for whatever reason.
- Carol and I get to have movie night from time to time with some of "MyKids" and it is such a treat when we do. It is not so much about the movie but just the togetherness of it all. A few of "MyKids" pull up next to me in the chair and I often times look over and catch them just staring at me. We get to share a smile ... and that is some special stuff taking place. It won't always be that way since they are growing so fast..... and we both won't fit in my chair forever ...but you know what I am trying to say. Its priceless......
"The power of Presence"
Sometimes as parents we need to put aside our lifestyle, wants and needs to attend to those around us. Our children are longing for YOU. If they don't get it from you they will get it from someone!!
I was so humbled this past Christmas and continue to be even today with this new gadget that my son got for Christmas. Nintendo Wii. See he has this wrestling game and for whatever reason - I just don't get it. I mean - I just can't do it.... I know I am getting old but I have never been one to say "Can't" - but I can't!!! I can pick the biggest wrastler in the game - 700 pound dude and I get whipped and I mean smashed by the tiniest wrastling chick going because my son has the controls. It really is baffling....... but it doesn't matter. Its quality time together. It's quality time when his friends are over and the smack down on Mr. Lonnie is taking place. Its the investing part during Rock Group that the kids can't wait to get there on Sunday nights. It's me pacing for 45 minutes before everyone shows up and I have paced 2 miles in the living room from excitement.
Its also pretty humbling when Kyle says - "Dad, just sit and watch and I will show you how to do it." The Power of Presence~ It only takes a few minutes...... its called stopping and smelling the roses right? Its basking in the sun for a few minutes to take the moment in. It's humbling to enter their world.... to listen to what they have to say. Often times our kids don't hear us anyway when we speak to them but our actions sometimes speak louder than words. I do know for sure - that is my calling in Sunday School. Hey I don't have to be cool, love hoodies, give out the best candy, say all those snazy words the kids use today - I just need to be there. Dads, we need to be there. You need to be there for your kids as well as the others who God has placed in your life. They need you as well .... not as their dad but in a fatherly role. Someone to speak truth into their lives ... a life coach, mentor - whatever you want to label it with......

I read this from Dr. James Dobson this morning and it is fueling my heart today~
Sometimes, doing something for my kids and getting it over with (quickly) so I can get back to what I want to do is nothing more than a broad road to ruin. The narrow road, the one that leads to life, it's not doing anything but being there, physically present, and resting in the promise that the Father up above is looking down in love and He's got the whole world in his hands.
Fathers, don't overlook the power of your presence. Power via humility. It doesn't make a lick of worldly sense. But it may just make an eternal difference in the lives of our sons and daughters.
Just sit with me dad. It'll only take a minute…


Be encouraged today dads.... and thanks Pastor Jimmy for the challenge you gave us men Sunday - to lead our families, lead our homes and live lives of significance for Jesus as godly men.
Lonnie~

No comments: