Friday, December 19, 2008

Salvation Army - Distribution Experience

I say experience because it is an experience! I called my friend Shelley before I got down there and told her I was on my way. She was very excited and told me to enter the "old walmart" through the optometry entrance. When I pulled into the parking lot - I just could not believe how many people where there. They had the front entrances blocked off so folks could not drive right up to the front doors - it also keeps people safer at the main entrance.
I walked in and was met by Shelley's friend Dee. She walked me around and gave me the process of how things worked. People were sitting in a section that had chairs all lined up and they waited for their # to be called since everyone has an appointment. Once called they are met by a Salvation Army Volunteer - during this shift of 8:30-12:30 there are over 100 folks volunteering- and they have a shopping cart. Here is where they meet the families. Everyone is very excited. I got to walk with Lionel. He was alone and his wife and 2 kids were home excited for him to come back with their Christmas gifts. They have a 4 year old and a 2 week old. Once through the line they can spin for a bike if they did not receive one. The excitement level was that of like an auction. Lots of happy faces, screams of excitement and shouts of "I Won" - it was amazing to watch. Even the volunteers were very excited when someone won a bike. Once around this part of the line - Lionels # was called and a volunteer brought over the family gift bag with all the gifts. It was placed in the shopping cart and we moved along to the stocking area. Every child through the Salvation Army will receive a stocking full of stuff - regardless if they got something or not. Lionel was about in tears and I asked him if they would have gifts this Christmas if it was not for the donations and the Salvation Army. He said, "Probably not". I shook his hand and out the door he went. Shopping cart delivered to the next family in waiting.
It was an unreal experience watching the folks come through. 200 an hour for 4 days - all walks of life - all kinds of people but all in the same need. I am thankful for the experience and its so humbling all wrapped into one.
I am so content with what God has given me, the blessings he is given us and the heart that he has given me to serve others. It really hits home why Carol and I do not share Christmas gifts anymore - we adopt a family who could use a little encouragement or a little help. We pack that box with all kinds of things..... each of its own importance. It really is special to us~
I have really been seeing people differently the last few months especially. God is opening many doors ........ and thankful for the opportunities that are behind each of them.

Shelley - thank you for the opportunity this year to serve the Salvation Army - the people coming through your doors and for changing many things in my life because of the experience. You are still smiling even today ....no wonder - You are doing Gods work and it shows on your face. Love you and proud of you~ Merry Christmas to you and your family. Get some rest and know you are making such an impact in the hearts of many!

Lonnie~

No comments: