Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The past half week I have to be honest and say - GOSH - things seem to be really messed up. I am not saying that something is messed up with me or my family or anything but I have taken some calls, got some text messages, been pulled aside by a parent or student and received some heart FULL stuff. I am seeking God and his guidance and wisdom for these dear friends, these difficult situations but it just blows me away that stuff like this continues to happen and that focus on the GOODNESS of people when so much is wrong with us and the world we live in.

I think in part of my focus on these things is not only its personal and the students and friends who have come to me really matter to me - I mean I love these folks and I want to do whatever to help, to pray for them, to guide them, to listen but also to point and remind them that Jesus is there in their storms. In many ways as I think about our mission trip to Jamaica - I think about that vision of the broken hearted and so many being the least of these. I think about the suffering taking place and I know it so many wonderful ways, it will break my heart. I say wonderful because not that I will enjoy the experience and the interaction with them but because that is what I fully believe God wants my heart to see, to experience and to feel.
I am on board with that. As I stand in front of so many teenagers during the week on Sundays, Tuesday nights, Wed nights - Friday mornings and in my own personal time - gosh you can really tell which ones are plugged in. Those who are wanting relief, wanting grace, wanting wisdom and Gods ways, full knowing his ways are better than theirs. You can really tell which ones are paying attention and eager for more. SHOW ME is screaming out but for some - well its social event or a place to have something to do or a place to go. Just get me through this so I can go back to talking to that cute boy or girl or hang out with my friends.... for some - something big has not happened. Maybe they have pushed something big down so far as to not have to deal with it. Maybe - God was there but maybe not now - I just dont FEEL IT!

Tomorrow I am really excited to be closing out our series - "Soul Surfer" and I will be closing out with God who always goes way past our expectations. Most of the message I have focused on Ephesians 3:20 - Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.

Not only do we not fully buy into that for most of us, we dont even believe it. But the truth is - God wants to do unreal things through you - through each of us. Its only when we catch that vision that God can step up and do something amazing through you. He can work through your passions in life, your talents and gifts - because by doing so for His name -It brings him glory and honor and praise. His name is shown to others because of the works he is doing in each of us and through us. So often just getting started to do something is the hardest part. BUT by doing so - it can actually jump start your heart and activate your faith to a new level. Maybe even a level that is for the first time. Far too often we dont do things because of how we feel. Feelings come and go, feelings change with the season, feelings change with the moods we are in -

I think for the most part we fall into the catagory that our vision is often times too small. In life we will have passions to accomplish things - to take something we love to another level far beyond anyone we know. God has that passion for you.

Our real connection comes when we allow ourselves to be concerned about the things God is concerned about. That revolves around the fact that its not about you. You have to get your eyes off yourself and onto others... their needs, their issues and struggles - reaching far into the world around you.
Jesus said Follow Me - far too many of us are attached to the things of this world and our stuff to even begin that journey. Your stuff can be looked at as something as a gift from God to use to reach others. Odd way to think about it really but - imagine what you could do by sharing what you have. A left over meal, a lunch invite, opening the door to your home to a friend or new family at church or that new family who just moved into the neighborhood, how about the student who sits alone at lunch or the one who always seems to be the BUTT of every joke and comment.

Dream big vision loved ones, and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER - EVER give up. NEVER. We all have courage but sometimes we have to dig a little deeper to find it.

What is your heart concerned over today?
Lonnie~

No comments: