Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I had a good birthday yesterday. Honestly, I was blown away by the birthday wishes from so many on Facebook. Odd thing, I only received 3 phone calls. Is the phone dead now? Does anyone talk anymore?
I got a call from my dad, my Aunt Sharon and one of my closest students - Emilee. Most of the wishes came in via Facebook or text message. A few of my close peeps actually went with me out to eat and then shared some time together last night afterwards. All in all it was a good day!
It was really cool when I brought in breakfast for the boys. Carol made breakfast burritos and made extras. Imagine that. And last night I handed out a few bracelets that I knew my girls were looking at while at the coffee shop catching up with David. Its was a surpise for folks to see a person celebrating if you want to call it a birthday and then giving out a few things. Why is that so weird to folks? I told them - hey, its how I roll. They accepted it and moved on.
But why does it have to be that way?
Did you know that most folks who eat on on Sundays are the worst tippers? Its that after church crowd. Why are we so stingy with our money and possesions that we can share it, bless others with it, use to glorify God?
I think for many reasons, this is part of the heart of going to Jamaica. I mean most of the folks we will come in contact with while there will not have much. They will be in the lower half of this countries $ level but I do believe they will have the most faith, the most joy and give us whatever they have. I am blown away at seeing how donations come in. The amount of money that some have given to this mission is amazing, we are far from reaching our goals, but the ones who have given the most- MAKE THE LEAST.
That just blows my mind.
It is said in the Gospels that Jesus couldn't do much in the town "BECAUSE OF THEIR UNBELIEF". Matthew 13:58 -
Wouldnt it be a sad thing to say that about your home? Sad to say about your neighbors or your family and friends?
How about you?
It would be sad if for your unbelief that Jesus couldnt do anything in you or through you.
Lord why dont you do more in our church? Could it be that because of the peoples unbelief and lack of vision?

Our eyes will be opened going to Jamaica. I fully believe the distractions of stuff and wealth and influence will be minimal and the power of joy, trust and the Lord will be wide open! I believe that hearts of the people will be so alive and eager to serve, to sing and shout for joy when we get there.
Faith is a verb and a verb means it has action. I cannot sit by and come to church and then check the box and be good for the week. Unfaised and unchallenged in my own walk to continue to keep coming week after week. There has to be some kind of change. Internal heart change. I will be speaking next week on Motivation and that is a key to keep digging deeper into Gods word, his promises and see life through his eyes and not our own.
I believe, Jamaica is going to be a big step towards that. Lives changed for the 10 people going on the NC team. 10 hearts broke because of what they experience, who they meet and who they serve. Out of our comfort zones, in a strange and different culture - this is prime time for God to do something amazing in each of us. My heart is in this God... you know. You called me to lead this. Afraid and ignoring at first - I can only hide for so long. I accepted and casted the vision to my peeps.
Gods promises are activated by our faith.

Our experiences will all point us to a life of faith. A faith that doesnt sit on the sidelines, a faith that says, I'm waiting here. Maybe God will work maybe not. Well, not much is happening and my walk with God seems to be stale these days.
Its almost like a sick guy needing medical attention and needs to get better but doesnt go to the flippin doctor. Thats foolishness. Its like the student who is totally unplugged sitting at church wondering why they are even there. Soon, if that continues they wont be there long.
Its like the person who wants to have hope, wants to know the Bible, wants to be plugged into a church loving family but doesnt go and make connections to get into one and who never reads their Bible.
You are not holding onto anything really. God is really the only real solid thing you can hold on to in this life. He has given us precious promises that you need to get your heart around.
"God helps those who help themselves" - that is not in the Bible but its biblical. Faith has to be real, has to be active, has to be excersized!

Sometimes we have to put action behind what we believe, what we are passionate about and get up, and do something with it. Then and only then can we watch God work.

Even Jesus had problems doing mighty works in his homeland, in his own community, because of who he was as the people knew him and because of his unbelief.
Sometimes stretching out and doing something will jump start your heart to something new. A spark that causes a wild fire of faith that overwhelms you and changes your life.

Coffee time and with that comes conversation. I got a Starbucks gift card yesterday from my dear little sister Carol and her family. I will pass those blessings on - they know me and told me I was not allowed to use it on them because that would be like giving themselves a gift. They know me...... they love me not for what I do - but for who I am. Those are the ones that will stick with you no matter what.

Thanks for all the overwhelming birthday wishes yesterday,
I am very blessed to be on this journey in life.
Lonnie~

No comments: