Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Time is flying.....

Wow, looking back I have not had a post since last Thursday. Looking back - April is almost over. Where is time going so fast? Is it supposed to be this way the older I get? I took a much needed pause yesterday. I am a really focused person at times and sometimes I find myself running to different and too many directions with all that life has and all that God has on my plate. I am honored that God has me where I am and serving Him and all those in my life but sometimes... we need to take a pause and just relax. Yesterday was just that time. It did me good to recharge my batteries, study a little in the book of John, get a good workout in with Carol, check in on Barbara, a good coffee with my "Paul" with some great conversation and just praise God for all He is.

The last week since seeing "Letters to God", I think I have been more focused on thanking our heavenly father more. I feel in my heart that is a good thing. Yesterday while at Walmart getting some bleach for the pool, I noticed a family with young children and the kids were laying in the isle, screaming, crying... mom and dad just not knowing what to do with them. For sure a tough time shopping but I often wonder if my life especially - if God hears my complaints and crying like this mom and dad does. I hope not because I believe that God hears and feels everything before we even get to that point. I think He is patient with us and wants to listen as we pour our hearts to Him. Today I find myself pouring a little of my heart out, not so much for me but for a few students in my life. I wont go into details but my heart is in a heavy place for them today. This morning I opened my bible to 2 Timothy chapter 2 and it really spoke to me. I will share..

2 Timothy 2:15 Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth. 16 Avoid worthless, foolish talk that only leads to more godless behavior. 17 This kind of talk spreads like cancer, as in the case of Hymenaeus and Philetus. 18 They have left the path of truth, claiming that the resurrection of the dead has already occurred; in this way, they have turned some people away from the faith.
19 But God’s truth stands firm like a foundation stone with this inscription: “The Lord knows those who are his,”[
a] and “All who belong to the Lord must turn away from evil.”[b]
20 In a wealthy home some utensils are made of gold and silver, and some are made of wood and clay. The expensive utensils are used for special occasions, and the cheap ones are for everyday use. 21 If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work.
22 Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts.
23 Again I say, don’t get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start fights. 24 A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult people. 25 Gently instruct those who oppose the truth. Perhaps God will change those people’s hearts, and they will learn the truth. 26 Then they will come to their senses and escape from the devil’s trap.

This passage is just jammed packed with good stuff. I find myself today in a few of these places as I search my heart and ask God for guidance. Its hard pouring into the lives of others. Its messy, its difficult, it causes tears and keeps me up at night but its what I am called to do for those who God places in my life. Staying focused happens by staying in Gods word. By being hungry for more and for challenging those tough things that God wants to do in me. Its easy to walk away, to get offended, to place blame on others, to resist the change and let God do something in your life that only He can do. Life change happens through Gods grace. I see it on Sunday mornings in the lives of many of our students. Some on fire, some fizzling, some with no clue as to why they are there. They are all in different places and I take rest in knowing that God knows exactly where they are. As I look closer to the students that are closest to me - it helps to know where they are with God so that I can affectively lead them. It helps to know which need special attention or encouragement... while some just need a little direction because they are blazing for the things of God and they are pumped to do what is next and some i'm just not sure what to do. Either way... you have to be close enough to make a difference. God can blind us in this life with life change in an instant like in the transformation of Saul who became Paul. But he can also bring people in our lives to help point us, focus us, give us encouragement and keep us on the paths that lead to him. I am thankful for those in my life who I have allowed to speak truth to me and keep me encouraged. I need that as well sometimes. I am also blessed for those in my life that God has trusted me with as I lead them. We all have to have some Timothy's in our lives. Pauls are special and we should have only a few of them... but Timothy's are people we are leading. My question today is - are you leading them some where good? I have learned in the last few weeks that some who I thought may be leaders, just want to be heard, they want to be the center of attention and that is not leading people even though it may look like it. For me, I would rather be in the shadows... behind the scenes and serving quietly.... but God had a different plan. Ask anyone in my rock group or those who are with me on Sunday mornings ... I am scared and full of nerves because of what I am doing matters. What I want to say from my heart has impact on the lives of others - maybe even eternity hangs in those words. When I am not leading on Sunday mornings and Pastor Travis is spilling his heart into those students.... I can see the light shining in him. I see his love for those students. I see the eternal impact he has in the words and lessons he is teaching. Its so much bigger ... the stuff going on.

I remember a lesson I learned a few months ago about dealing with difficult people and God places them in our lives for a reason as well. Just like the student that we are called to lead that just really makes leading tough at times..... I will smile when I say ....heavenly sandpaper. God keep my heart full of your intentions as I lead those around me. Keep my eyes and heart focused on you. As I close in song from "Letters to God" - Dear Mr. God, I thank you for the good things in my life. Life is good... even when its a struggle... life is still good because of you. Amen

Peace,

Lonnie~

No comments: