Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Grace of Purity

I have been just stuck in the book of Ephesians. I am due to change my password soon and that changes every 90 days so I have been in Ephesians on and off now for that long. As I reflect back on the previous week and all that was said, preached, shared, discussed, asked and talked through in private and in public - I find myself yesterday and today in Ephesians 5. My reflection comes from a great conversation with 2 of my leaders in the student ministry. I know this calling on my life to be involved in the lives of students, though messy at times and heartful it is the place that I know with all I have in me that God has called me to this ministry and to these students. Do I want to give up at times? Sure. Do I want to throw in the towel and say this is not worth all this at times? Sure. Do I want to just give in and let the student fall face first on the ground over some sin in their life? Never. Do I want what is best for them and remind them that God has a better way? For sure. Do I love these students with all my heart? Absolutely. Do I sometimes put them ahead of myself and my family - especially miss Carol and Kyle? Mistakenly yes.
No one will ever know the sacrifice Carol and Kyle make each day for this calling not only on my life but theirs as well. Its a family ministry walk for sure because I know I wouldn't make it long on this journey without them. I have to have them having my back. I need bounderies in my life to stay the course and not wreck. I have to constantly look into my heart and ask God to show me what direction to go in and what areas in my life I need to pull back into His grace of light.
Ephesians 5:1-2 and 10-13:
1 Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. 2 Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us[a] and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.
10 Carefully determine what pleases the Lord. 11 Take no part in the worthless deeds of evil and darkness; instead, expose them. 12 It is shameful even to talk about the things that ungodly people do in secret. 13 But their evil intentions will be exposed when the light shines on them.
I think one of the hardest things in walking with Christ is that our lives are in the light. Exposed to people to see and also that it takes work to keep things personal and private at times. I can't be serving in student ministry and walking with these students if I myself have not been through some of the things they are having to walk through. I can't be there in front of them if I don't have any idea what they are dealing with. I can't be leading them if I have not had victory over some things in my life that they too need victory over. We need to be more Christ like because He gave us a perfect example to live our lives by. This weekend we spoke about bounderies to keep us from sin. It happened to be on the topic of relationships. Purity is a word that is used mostly today in terms and in the context of sex. But in Gods big picture it means in terms of sin. Pure - like a finely cut diamand it is clear and in near perfect quality. God wants us to live our lives like the diamond. Removing the things we struggle with in life and pulling those things into the light so they are exposed. In terms of student ministry - that may be removing the tv from the bedroom. It may be asking mom and dad to block certain channels. I can honestly say that is the case on my families main tv. It was hard for Kate to comprehend because she has never had a filter in her life and badgered me for weeks on unblocking MTV<>
Grace by definition: The freely given, unmerited favor and love of God. The influence or spirit of God operating in humans to regenerate or strengthen them.
Gods grace is often times misused and abused. We sin because we know that by Gods grace we will be forgiven. So we continue over and over and over again. Expose the sin to God light, get the bounderies in place, get a accountability person in your life, pull the sin out from under the darkness and ask God to move you from it.
Living in the light is tough - it may be the hardest thing you will ever do in your life. Those called to serving others in ministry will have their lives exposed. Their good deeds and sins out in the open. Integrity and character become the main thing people see.
Let me ask a question on purity in your own life.
Do you on occasion tell or laugh at crude jokes?
Do you have a relationship that would upset your spouse?
Does your choice of movies/entertainment differ from someone who does not know Christ at all?
Do you use bad language in your everyday talk...emails... text messages?
Would doing something this afternoon differ if Christ was standing next to you? (He is)
Are you currently hiding something in the dark that needs to be brought into the light?

I will close with this today loved ones from Ephesians 5:15-20
15 So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise. 16 Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. 17 Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do. 18 Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit, 19 singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts. 20 And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Lord examine our hearts today and expose those things that are not clearly from you. Help us bring them to the light and help us put bounderies, accountability and actions behind us so that we may experience Your Grace of Purity. Its in Jesus name I pray, Amen

No comments: