Thursday, April 22, 2010

I just don't know how single parents make it these days. Being that its been 4 days with Carol out of town, I would have to say that my schedule would for sure have to change if I was in a situation of being a single parent home. It sure is busy! But knowing that she will be home Saturday - I am keeping busy and loving it. Last night I got to lead the LOL middle/high school bible study and we had an opening excersize where I gave out a piece of paper and a pen/pencil to each student. Instructed them to write their name on the top and then pass it to the left to the next person. 21 students took part in this fun excersize with each instructed to read the name of the person on the page and then write something encouraging or uplifting about the person. When we finished - we had some smiles and I asked a few students to read a few of their comments. I then explained that when the day comes, when feeling low, sad, needing a smile or alone.... look up at that piece of paper and see what people wrote about you. I am sure it will bring you through some tough moments. I am amazed at some of the things written on those papers. I got a few emails this morning from parents asking what we did last night because their teenage came home fired up. I am glad for that....... also the lesson from John 1:35 and telling them to share Jesus like chocolate cake was probably pretty good too. :)

Anyways - today I found myself locked into the "Letters to God" soundtrack. There is a song on there "The Water's Edge" - what a powerful song but it reminded me of the man who was near the pool who was crippled. He could never get near the water in time to be healed - he had nobody to help him get in the water so his days where spent probably begging for money or food near this waters edge. 38 years of this struggle - probably on the edge of hope. I will share the story as Jesus reached out to him.
John 5:
The Healing at the Pool
1Some time later, Jesus went up to Jerusalem for a feast of the Jews. 2Now there is in Jerusalem near the Sheep Gate a pool, which in Aramaic is called Bethesda[a] and which is surrounded by five covered colonnades. 3Here a great number of disabled people used to lie—the blind, the lame, the paralyzed.[b] 5One who was there had been an invalid for thirty-eight years. 6When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, "Do you want to get well?"
7"Sir," the invalid replied, "I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me."
8Then Jesus said to him, "Get up! Pick up your mat and walk." 9At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.

So this man sank in his misery. Time was not on his side and seemed to linger on forever. He probably wished he would just drown in the water, especially after trying for song long... seeing others healed, lives restored ... The sky made things clear to see and without help he was to remain On the water's edge - its there he learned to love again. He was touched by God and got a new start. For so many of us... we need a new start. God can touch you and bring you to the waters edge. He can wash you clean so you can start again.
Be encouraged today ....... you are just a touch away.
Lon~

No comments: