Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Happy Wed everyone! Hump day as some call it but mid week is what I call it and LOL tonight! That pumps me up because I get to hear Gods word tonight and get to hang with some awesome students. This morning I was pretty out of it - I was dead asleep when the alarm went off this morning so these past few weeks I have been sleeping great. I am pumped about that because it is a good place to be. Today I got to spend a few at the new student union on campus and I am tearing into a Andy Stanley book now that is really just challenging me and my focus. What exactly am I going to do once I get this book absorbed, I am not sure yet but for sure it is challenging me. I wanted to just say that when I was leaving, being on a college campus does have its moments - like a table set up for folks to come and get a cupcake and get a free condom. Not sure how they work together but honestly?

You know there are times when youth ministry is just not fun. There are hard conversations that take place, there are parents to talk with over very hard subjects, there are students who feel left out even though you are going 110 miles and hour and pouring everything you got into the ministry and into them, there is the issue of family time and not enough of that ... even though your heart is torn between this and that and that over there. There are times that it just isn't any fun at all but you take the bad with the good. Pouring into students and then praying they are catching what we are throwing out only to find out they are just doing what you just poured into them anyways. Frustrating...... and to be honest - its hard to detach even when you are home. Its hard to not have a hand out willing to help when you know you have to let go. Sometimes the bumps are needed in life in order to learn and grow through those experiences. I think about the times that Jesus spent with his disciples. How much he poured into them and often times they just didn't get it. Jesus toned it down probably a TON for them to understand and often spoke in parables just so they would have a chance to understand what he was teaching them. Frustrating? Maybe... but this is Jesus.... so where is the line drawn as a youth leader? Thats a tough call and one that I am wrestling with today. God has placed on my heart a question the last week or 2 that really has me ready to move forward in a few places. This place has me looking deeper for answers. It leaves me wanting to reach a little further so that no sheep gets lost along the way. Yeah not every person, not every student is going to get it. Most will take up room but some will be fired up and ready to charge hell with a water pistol. They are the ones that pump me up and keep my fire going. They are the ones that keep me close to God and reaching out to them.
Hope is where my heart is. Hope that something will break through in that student and make them alive in Christ. Hope that God will grab those students and lead them to a life that is much richer and fulfilling than those around them. Hope that tomorrow will be better than today. Hope that faith will be taken seriously and people will live their faith out in their lives. Hope that addictions will be no more. Hope that what my life is preaching, those in my life are listening. Hope that what I am doing will make a difference - not only a difference today but one for eternity for someone. When tough things happen ... hope is what drives me through. Hope that for me is the same as those early disciples had when Jesus was trying to explain something to them. Hope that I too will pick up what Jesus is laying down. Hope that I will understand just a little bit more than yesterday.
Hope that is not about me and more about Jesus. Thats a life worth living for.

I wanted to let everyone know if you didn't know already - that Rocky River Church closed on their bank loan yesterday to begin our ministry campus Phase1. It is a real milestone in our church's history. What started in a living room 12 years ago has now pushed forward with God into a building and a new hope to our community. May God continue to shower us with his blessing and favor as we trust in Him to make Jesus name famous and bring His love to those around us. We are all excited for this next big leap in faith - it has been an amazing ride the last 6 years and it has not even got started yet. God you continue to blow our socks off with the things you are doing. Praise your name and may all this be for your glory. Yeah RRC!!!
Peace,
Lon~

No comments: