Monday, July 27, 2009

Words........

All I can say is ~WOW~
I don't have the words to fill in the details of last week at Thirst Camp. Our middle and high school church camp. It was such an amazing week in so many ways. Where do I start? I do know for sure though that many came away from this - changed. Including me.
Our students - Your children - were stretched in so many ways, we allowed them to get out of the comfort zones and into a place where God can touch and change hearts. I have never cried with so many students, adults and leaders in my life. Camp started with checkin on Monday evening. Teams were gathered together and instantly set off to get to know one another, build team flags, and pray together. Morning devotionals and evening small groups together. Service projects in the community each morning. Some of the things our students did was serving a few families with cleaning out garages, landscaping, moving furniture, cutting trees and branches, cleaning barns and delivering 72 bales of hay, cleaning walkways, pulling weeds, serving the senior homes, folding laundry and sorting clothes, Salvation army as well as serving in the habitat for humanity. It was a busy week and watching our youth take over and do work they have never done and get dirty like I have never thought I would see and all with smiles on their faces was just amazing. I learned last week that our children have a passion for God. A burning passion and a love of serving others. A few things stick out in my mind that I will not soon forget. While at the climbing wall at the Y , a student set her mind to climb the 25 ft wall but heights is a fear of hers and half way up - I was not letting them give into that fear and lifting them with encouragement to not give up. She not only climbed the wall but they came down a different person. I got to see some of our older high school students make sound and clear decisions all week in terms of giving God the glory in those decisions even if that meant them not getting any at all. I was asked on Friday to recognize a boy and girl student on my team and talk about them. I had a hard time with that because all the students stood out in their own way and were leaving camp a much different person than when they came in. After a long struggle with that decision, God told me to talk with these 2 students and in His perfect plan, it was revealed to me that my decision was right on the money. Both students refused to be recognized because they didn't want to take ANY glory from God and asked me to give Him all of it during my stage talk to everyone. What an amazing story .....
God touched us in so many ways last week, through our service projects, worship times, discussion times with the pastors, free time at the pool and during the games, even during those tough moments where the students needed someone to talk to. I really love that part knowing that I am in their trust. I had one student tell me that I was their tree and my roots for them grow deep and she thanked me for always being there for her. God moved especially during the evening worship services. I have never been cried on like by so many before - I have never cried on so many before. We sweated together, stunk together, ate together and learned together. Family ...... comes to my heart when I think back. I do know for sure that nobody wanted camp to end. It was until Sunday that I finally got some sleep even though camp ended Friday night. I just couldn't unwind and my mind and heart still going full steam ahead. I am pretty tired today but I do know for sure.... if camp was again this week... I would be on it.
I was told last week that even though my job is where I work - its just a job and it is not WHO I AM. I found out who I was last week..... I found out what God wants me to continue to pour my heart and soul into. "MyKids" all of them - in every way I can. Let God shine His light through me for them to see. I am there gang..... you have all I can give you.
God doesn't make junk and in His image - He has made you perfectly according to His plan and purposes.
All week I had my girls saying outloud and in some screaming for all to hear. "I am Powerful and Beautiful". Yes you are girls.... you are not what people tell you or who you are. You are who God says you are!!
Thanks to everyone who made last week happen - especially the students! Camp was really over after the Tuesday evening service last week when we all stood together, claiming our mark and taking a stand for God. Its personal ....... its time to let that light shine for our God. Let me share in closing the last chapter in the book of James. It was our study for the week .... and a great one at that!
James 5:
The Prayer of Faith
13Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. 14Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
17Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. 18Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops. 19My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, 20remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.


With all the love and thankfulness I can muster up .......
Lonnie~

No comments: