Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Some things I am learning...

I feel like I am learning a LOT these days. God has really been working on me to step it up a notch in my ministry walk. If that is confusing to you, ministry walk, then let me just say that you also have a ministry walk. When you accept Jesus and commit your life to following Him - that is your ministry walk. Pickup up your cross as you have probably heard is something we need to do every day. Ask God for direction and seek His will over your own. He will provide the way and make your paths straight. He will also bring people along side of you to keep you encouraged, to pick you up when you fall and to give you grace because they too have felt grace from our heavenly father.
I finished up the book I was reading - "What a daughter needs from her dad" by Michael Farris and I have to tell you - it was awesome. I don't even have daughters but it opened my eyes to so much. I am looking at my role in life, the leadership example I am for many of "MyKids" who I am a role model for, I am looking at the future of my son Kyle as he begins to take shape as a teenager soon... there is much to learn. I am now into the "The Servant" by James Hunter and if I didn't take notes and reread certain parts of this book over and over again- I would have it done already. Randy, thanks for this gift and insite in leadership! I will have it back to you soon....
Last nite as I was winding down from my day - I got to open the book but I didn't get far.
What I read on the page really got to me. Thats about as far as I got :)
Intentions - Actions = Squat
We have all heard the quote - "All the good intentions in the world dont mean a thing if they dont line up with your actions." - isn't that the truth! Man I want so much to be a man of action when it comes to giving my word. I want to follow through and not let folks down. I want my life to have action behind what is in my heart. I want to be in the game and not sitting on the sidelines. I am proud of many of our new volunteers at church. They are getting into the game and making friends, learning about serving God and the community and many times - all they need is an invite. God will handle the rest of it ... I often think about the folks serving on setup so early on Sunday mornings and those who are in the band - I know they just want to play it but they are part of setup as well for now. There is a LOT of work that goes into setting up a mobile church and one that is growing and is alive and is on the move. If you are wanting to know more about Jesus, if you are looking to further your understanding in the things of Him, if you are looking to be plugged into a church family who loves and cares for you - you must get off the sidelines. All your good intentions sitting in the chair each Sunday morning keeps you in the chair until you decide to get up and get into action.
Intentions + Actions = Will
Its only when our intentions align with our actions that we will be leading and you will be doing your ministry walk. It is who you are in Jesus.... His hands and feet filled with His actions. No more sidelines.... no more excuses.... you are ready to do what God is telling you to do.
For me, the past few weeks means that some things are going to be changing. I am excited to be changing and taking on new roles and responsibilities. I will say more about this later on but for now know that change is sometimes a great thing!
As I continue to read this leadership book - I am humbled to know that leadership really boils down to a smile four word job description. "Identify and meet needs".
Jesus being the greatest leader of all time lead by serving the needs of the people. He loved us so much that He came for us and died for us.
Psalm 100: 5 For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.
1 Corinthians 13:
2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8Love never fails.


Man, you just have to love the people you lead and the people around you. It's as simple as that.
Lonnie~

No comments: