Wednesday, April 8, 2009

If I had a camera....

I would have taken a picture this morning of something just absolutely beautiful. Kyle and I drove up to the bus stop this morning and we were running a few minutes behind. We stopped and just kind of sat there, almost half asleep. One of our neighbors were in the driveway and we just sat and watched the dad love on his children. They have 2 kids and they are in 2nd grade and kindergarten and they all were just smiling so big. He was hugging on them and his daughter was hugging his head with her head on top of his. I was just a wonderful picture of what a father is supposed to be doing with his children. The bus came and I told Kyle my normal thing that I love him and to make good decisions today. The bus pulled up and Kyle got out ... took a few steps and turned back to look at me. He whispered and I read his lips - "I love you".
It breaks my heart knowing there are kids right around me, in church, in our schools - our neighborhoods who have parents or not ... that they never get to hear those words. Whispered so softly but yet so amazingly meaningful. I pulled up after the bus left and rolled my window down. Our neighbor came over and I said good morning with a big smile and said you know - "If only I had a camera". They both looked at me funny and I told them that it is amazing how many kids don't get that kind of attention and love from their fathers today. He smiled and said - "Man, this is what its all about!" I have to agree.... Out of my mouth came - "God Bless you both today."
Carol and I are attending a memorial service this afternoon. A coworker and a dear friend of mine lost her husband last week. 42 years old and leaving behind a marriage and 4 kids. I think about how this family, while he was still here, was sort of fatherless. Now they are fatherless. So many dads today are unplugged from their families and in the lives of their children. They sink their passion and efforts into meaningless things. They spend hours watching sports on TV while their children are wanting to play with them, toss a ball, jump on the trampoline or just spend time together. Dad's are not leading their families...we are not teaching their children about what a marriage is supposed to look like. We are not the spiritual leaders of their homes. We are not teaching our daughters what is appropriate and what is not. We are not teaching our sons to be men and how to make decisions.
I am almost done reading "What a Daughter Needs from Her Dad." by Michael Farris. I wish I had been taking notes for this book so that I could just share it because it is powerful! But I know I would be retyping almost the entire book. There are pages and pages of good things to know about us fathers with what and how to raise a daughter. You might be thinking, Lonnie, you don't have a daughter. BUT - I do. I have many daughters because there are kids in my life that I love like a daughter. Many cases, I am that role model they need or that someone they can talk to because dad is not around or he is and doesn't take the time - time to be there, time to listen or time to invest in them. I am also learning about daughters because I have a son. He is going to be 12 this year.... time is flying by and it won't be long when I will have a young lady who has his heart and pray she has God in her heart and was raised with someone who took the time to show her love, respect and responsibility. It is never too early to be praying for them ...
The thing is loved ones, I don't do this for me. I am doing all this for the love that God has graced ME with. I want them to see that LOVE that God has for them and that He has a plan for them and no matter what they do, or where they go, or what happens to them - God will always love them.... even more than I, love them. Following Jesus is not about doing these steps or these certain things .... its about living your life for Jesus and letting HIM shine through what you are doing. That is living for Jesus..... let Your actions and the things YOU do be that from Him. If you are doing those things in your life - you can't help but to be involved. Even if it is outside of your family ..... Gods love has no bounderies.
If that was happening today ....... if this was taking place all along .... I would be free at 3:00 today but instead I will be at a memorial service. I wouldn't feel the pain from so many on Sunday mornings.
Dad's it time to step up to the plate and do the things that God is telling you to do. He is not asking .... His word is not a suggestion but we treating it like it was.

My Praise: Phillips, Craig and Dean
Lord, I wish I could praise You with adequate words
But You leave me speechless
And I so long to sing You the song You deserve
But it would be endless
I long to move Your heart
To bring You something new
To tell how great You are
Till my praise to You
chorus:
Its like an ocean breeze blowing on your face
Like a summer sun with its warm embrace
Like a gentle rain plays a symphony
Thats what I want my praise to be
Like a fragrant rose in the early spring
Like an eagle soars when it spreads its wings
Whatever, Lord, You may need from me
Thats what I want my praise to be
To YouEverything I could give, You already possess
Lord, Im so unworthy
Im just one of the millions to stand and confess
And yet still You hear me
Your heart is open wide
You long for what I bring
I pray somehow
Youll find this simple offering

No comments: