Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Have you ever laughed so hard that milk came out of your nose? Admit it, you have. Maybe it was soda or sweet tea - regardless of the fluid, I bet you have had one of those moments where something happened or someone said something and it really hit the funny bone. Odd thing is, often times that happens not because of something we did. I mean, laughing at ourselves is something foreign today. Its a tough place to get to in our walk in this life. I see it day in and day out where people at work are too serious, can't laugh or take a joke, they seem like their stuff dont stink or maybe they just have forgotten how to laugh.
Laughter is a BIG deal. A good sense of humor not only makes you more attractive, but it helps others feel more comfortable around you. I think there is a lot of crazy stuff in this world, look where I am with leading and investing my time with teens, and everyone could use a little more laughter in their lives.
There is not a great deal of laughter really in Gods word but if you really read the scriptures, I can imagine Jesus laughing at times during his ministry. Just because he didn't leave specific instructions on how to laugh, when to giggle, snort or have coffee shoot through your nose, doesn't mean it didn't happen. I mean laughter is real so God invented it right?

I am so excited that one of my students who has been missing for a few months has turned the corner and got back on track. I have had the chance to pray with her the last few morning over text message and she is asking for scripture that she can read and then talk a little about the meaning and what it says to her. I am SO pumped about that, especially when I have a few others students who seem to be fading a little and straying from the paths and where they should be walking. That is hard for me and all I can do is pray for them and pray that they don't go down a journey that takes too long to come back and one that strays too far. This morning I shared Proverbs 17:22 with her and its the topic of "thewalk" today.
Proverbs 17:22 - A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a persons strength.

There are 2 words I want to talk about today. Joy and Contentment.

Joy as defined by dictionary.com - the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; something or someone greatly valued or appreciated

Contentment as defined by dictionary.com - the state of being contented; satisfaction; ease of mind; mentally or emotionally satisfied with things as they are; is a peaceful kind of happiness in which one rests without desires.

When I think of the word Joy, it beings to mind feelings of being happy, good times and laughter. If joy is in your life today, it is usually accompanied by smiles and the ability to laugh. Even if laughing comes because of you. Its easier to find laughter and joy when there is joy in your life. Laughter helps bring joy into the lives of others. Many times as I stand for the first few minutes in front of our students, I like to start with something funny. Even if its making fun of myself because laughter breaks the ice. Laughter brings common ground and eases the tension in the room and even between people. Laughter is one of the most effective ways to communicate. Laughter can also gain another person attention and when you have the confidence and ability to make fun of yourself, it can increase your credibility and you come across as a real person.
I love to be around people who love to laugh and have a good time.
A sense of humor is often what people say about doctors who are almost always serious. Bed side manners as they call it. Just yesterday in the hospital, the nurse came in and she looked like she was having a tough day. She had a job to do and her bedside manners were not on target but after a few minutes interacting with me and the folks in the room - she was laughing and the stress and tension of her day seems to melt away.
There is power in a smile. We have no idea what is going on in the lives of those we meet every single day. We dont know what is going on in the life of that bank teller, the drive through lady at McDonalds, the Lowes foods lady ringing up your order or your boss who seems to be in a funk lately.
There are so many who walk around with a frown, always looking down, always seeing the worst in everything and everyone. I have some of them around me. They are tough at times to be around. They take my energy like nothing else can. A broken spirit saps a persons strength as Proverbs 17:22 tells us. Often times it not only saps their strength but everyone around them.

Its sad seeing someone you know lose their smile in life and thats a quality that needs to be developed as you travel through life.

I just love this word contentment because it brings peace to your life and into your heart. You have to be ok sometimes just being ok. I heard someone say once, "if you cant find contentment in your life, then you will just have to take medicine".
My wife tells me from time to time I need to be on drugs.. not only for what I have been called to do with investing my heart and soul into teens but also the DRAMA that comes from them. I have my moments where I honestly can say - I am on overload. I just can't take one more moment of all the flippin drama. Why are we all playing these games? I sometimes forget I was a teenager once and I am sure I did my damage on my mom and dad. Looking back, there are many moments of now being shamed, embarrassed or just down right wrong and rude. Mom - Dad - I am sorry!! I pray Kyle doesn't do anything close to what I have put you both through!
I think one of the things that so many people forget about as we go about life is always looking for the next big thing, the next big experience, exciting thing or whatever. We are just not happy or satisfied with things right now. We have this mentality that it can always be better.
Notice again the definition of contentment - is a peaceful kind of happiness in which one rests without desires.
What a wonderful place to be. Peace, no worries and no desires. Everything in harmony with each other. Now I know why so many people take drugs... so they can find this place! Sad that far too many of us, teens and adults alike, are searching in the wrong places. They have not fully experienced all this through Christ. Maybe you have a teenager who had a good close and personal walk with Christ the past few years and now they are all over the place. They are mad, treat people bad and are rude and they entire person and spirit has changed. Contentment has been lost because maybe now they are searching for that next big thing. They are not happy right now with things. There walk is too hard with Christ. Outside influences are pulling them in a 100 directions. Maybe this is you.

Let me ask you this loved ones, as selfishness rises in your life your happiness and joy will decrease. Are you so worried about how you look or who you hang out with at lunch or having a boyfriend or girlfriend or you just worry about way too much that you are not focusing on God and what he might have for you today? If God wanted to use you today for something great, would you even hear him? Are you just too busy, ipod always playing, always on facebook, always wondering if people like you, always worried about your makeup or your hair - would you even hear him?

Loved ones, laughter is very much like tears in a persons life. I have shed my full amount of tears and I am not ashamed of it but I also shed my shares of smiles as well. When was the last time you laughed so hard you cried? I think you are beginning to see my point.

I bet Jesus laughed many times if we just think between the lines. As friends lowered a man through the ceiling down to Jesus for him to heal him, imagine Jesus with ceiling tiles falling all around him as this man was lowered down. Jesus tells the men to cast their nets on the other side of the boat after they have been fishing all night catching nothing. Now they have a load of fish SO full its breaking their nets. Imagine Jesus smiling at the wedding when he turned water into wine and nobody knew until they started sipping it. You know how that is right? You think you have a cherry coke in the glass and sweat tea is tasted! Thats worth smiling about! I bet Jesus had a time with that miracle and watching the looks on everyone faces.

Through Christ, a cheerful heart is good medicine. I think we all need to laugh more and smile more. Smiling burns calories and are contagious. So spread them and let your heart show because your smile reflects where your heart is.

:) - Lonnie

No comments: