Monday, March 8, 2010

Sometimes doing the right things is not always the easiest.

I feel pretty beaten down for sure these days. Mondays are always my rest days after a long day on Sunday. Yesterday had its moments for sure...moments where you just dont expect things to go the way they do and yet they are really hard and moving past them seems impossible at times. I am thankful that the Lord's grace and and mercy follows me everywhere I go.
Had a great day at church yesterday. Message that was shared from Pastor Jimmy was right from his heart and I think so many needed to hear from him as our pastor. I think it really does show us how much is on our pastors shoulders and how much they love each of us.
Yesterday I got to share in a special moment with one of the students the week before ask me to get her breakfast - we had some time before the services to sit and talk. I knew her younger sister more than I knew her and it has been cool the last few weeks to talk with her and build on that trusted relationship. I had a McDonalds sweet tea while we were talking and just out of the blue she asked if next week I could get her breakfast and bring it to church. I said sure...but here is the deal - you have to come otherwise if you are not here... I am going to auction off your breakfast right in front of everyone. Meaning...for this sweet tea, first person to hand me a bible gets it. First person to hand me a flip flop - get the sandwhich. That is always fun ....... I got pegged 2 weeks ago by 5 flip flops over a t-shirt.
Anyways, I got breakfast and 9:30 service was over.... no student. Breakfast still there. 11:00 rolls around and in she walks to our student ministry room. It was awesome as we shared a smile and she got her breakfast. Its a small thing, a little detail like that that really speaks volumes into a student. I think that is one of the things of being a student ministry leader is that connection with your students. Its more than just church on Sundays or even on Wed evenings. Its about relationship .... trusted by them and the family for it to work. They need to know you care. I may never get a thank you .... but I know they are there. A facebook post, an email or text message to say hi - how was your day? - does wonders for letting them know you care about them. Show them Jesus in all you do and just maybe... even though its hard and it may appear you are not making any strides forward... God just may be reading the spike in the endzone in celebration....... I pray for that with Kate.... keep showing her Jesus and just maybe it will click on her heart. There are others...... but that is where I am today.
I look forward to hanging out with Madison tonight as we get a bite to eat and then shop for a sport jacket for me for the cruise. I look forward to seeing the "promise to make things better" between another one of my close kids come to pass. There is a lot going on ...... and thankful for Carol, Kyle - who both just amaze me again and again and again .... for my rock group families who seem to be holding me up at times the last month or so and great mentors in my life in my pastors - Jimmy, Travis and Donnie and all the staff and volunteers.... and I can't forget a God though I don't deserve any of this..... loved me enough to send his son Jesus to the cross for me. There is a lot of good things happening all around us.... God is in the details. Sometimes doing the right things is not always the easiest..... but then again easiest is not always best.
Peace out,
Lonnie~

No comments: