Thursday, November 1, 2007

Project ARK....

What a day! So much taking place and so many things going on. Today was an exciting day because I got to step forward in Project ARK.

Today I got to share lunch with a friend from church and who I have started visiting at school each week. Hailey did not have money for lunch and when I went last week to have lunch with her, I just figured that she would get the school lunch and I would enjoy my time spending this time with them. I usually don't eat until I get back to work or on my way back to work. But this was different because Hailey was expecting me to bring lunch. So, I purchased lunch for her last week and learned many things I did not know about school lunches, how the money works and the kids accounts. So, with much prayer and family decisions - we decided that our Project Ark would pay for a childs lunch for the year.

So today, I walked into school and signed in. I waited for her outside the lunch room -expecting her to come from the classroom area just like last week but her class came in from the front - they were on the playground. So again, she got me from behind. Her teacher smiled and thanked me for coming to lunch. I got to walk Hailey in and hold the door for all the kids - we then sat at the parent table. Yes they make me do this there too! She looked in my bag that I had for lunch and she looked disappointed. I said, Come - lets go and get in line. She said, you have money? I said, I will show you... come and get whatever it is you want. So we got in line and I met all her classmates - We got 2 milks, 6 chicken nuggets, grapes, and a cookie. We then went and waited a few minutes in line to pay and I asked the lunch lady how much was on the tray.... she said 4.00 but she owed about $15 - so I said I would pay for lunch - pay for the red amount and then add the rest on for future lunches and that she can get whatever she wanted - even the fancy area where they have the COOL snacks. I think I really shocked the lunch lady - and I KNOW I shocked miss Hailey. Miss Hailey said REALLY? Gave me a big hug and told me she loved me right there in the cafeteria. It was a special moment - a moment to give and to bless a child who needs to know that people care and that as a follower of Jesus - this is what people are supposed to do. There is a church and a Rock Group that loves her and her family.
We then walked back to the table and shared lunch - she ate everything on her plate - and I even brought some halloween candy for her, 3 pencils and an apple for the teacher.
Lunch went quick - and it was over so fast..... I cleaned her lunch up - her teacher told her it was time to go and she smiled with that thankful smile when you know you are doing something positive in a childs life - and we all KNOW that teachers know more about their kids than people realize. Spending some time with these children - you really do get to know them even without asking questions. How things are at home, what life is really like ... and so much more. We owe a lot to teachers and all they do for our children!!! I know if it was not for Kyles great teacher last year .... Donna~ I don't think I would have ever made it into the classroom - never had discovered the love I have for children and the burning desire to make a difference in their lives - even if all I can do is sit with them and listen. Sometimes thats all a child really needs....

I could never thank you enough Donna - for opening your classroom last year and letting me experience what YOU ALREADY KNEW! Dawn, that goes for you too!!!

It was a great day today - Project ARK - Acts of Random Kindness - I can't wait to hear everyones story and the blessings they have passed on. Imagine just what can be done....


Prayers tonight for Walter - his roomate Mr. Brown passed away this evening just before we got there. Please pray for Mr. Brown's family - Kyle and I got to share with them their pain and grief tonight - it was ok because they all know Mr. Brown is in heaven and he served the Lord for many years. Tough days are ahead for them...but they know the comfort and peace that only the Lord can give them at this time. He will be with them through this.
Thanks.

No comments: