Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Choosing Whom to Serve...

"As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.
Joshua 24:15 NLT


So many of us today find ourselves running and running - falling into bed at the end of the day. Trying to find time to get a prayer in and falling asleep right in the middle of it. I was that person - I have done that! I have made a small change in that the last year or so - I have started my day with Jesus and not ending it with Jesus when I am tired, run down, exhausted from everything that had to be done during my day.

This morning, I got to share some time with one of my kids. Her mom dropped her at the house this morning because she had to be at school early for a field trip today. While the kids were eating breakfast - a stepped back into my chair and drank my coffee and reading a chapter in my Bible. Acts chapter 14 is where I am. After breakfast she came in the LR and wanted to sit in my lap for a bit. Just share some things and talk - like a friend would to a friend. She reminded me that the kids at her school are talking - they are asking her who I was and all since I go and have lunch with "My Kids" - and she told me that she tells everyone I am her uncle. It is such an honor to be in that role. I just can't get enough of this blessing! She asked me this morning if I read my Bible every morning and I said that I do almost every morning and that when I don't, I can really tell that my heart and my mind is not in the right place for the rest of the day. After dropping them at school - I told them that I loved them and to have a good day today - good decisions. See this may seem like just a normal morning - a routine that we all do each and every day. BUT there is more to than what meets the eye. Jesus was in every aspect of this morning and His practical love is being passed down and shown in every detail!

Friends - our days are numbered here on this earth. God has alloted us so many days, so many moments and we must take advantage of them.... we are but a mist in the morning and then we are gone. I think about how short my moms life was - passing away at 62 years old - right in the middle of the best years ahead. I think about all the sacrifices she made for others and how many times she did without when she was giving to others. Deep down mom was living the Love of Jesus - showing others the Love of Jesus - It took my moms passing on this earth for me to realize this. I get it mom and deep in my heart I wish she was still here and it did not take my mom's passing for me to understand but God uses people and situations and struggles to teach us.
We are not supposed to just go through life waiting around for things to happen - like when we got to the doctors office and sit and wait - reading the stupid magazines or making chit chat with the person next to you~ We are supposed to be alive, living each moment of every day! Even if we are old .... its not too late to serve and to give to others - not to give up until God tells us its time. Too many of us have our priorities in the wrong focus - line up your day and your time putting God first and rejoice that you know Jesus.
I am thankful that I know the Lord and that He has saved me - my wife and son. There is nothing like watching my son and my wife serving with me at church on Sunday mornings. There is power and value in serving our Lord and its personal to each of us. We can't ride the coat tails of someone else.... Just because my wife runs the k-5 Childrens ministry - God still looks at me and asks - "What am I doing for the kingdom?"
There is such joy in serving the Lord. Its hard work, frustrating and tiring at times but the rewards are so great!
This Thanksgiving, give some alone time and evaluate where you are in this journey - Ask the big questions.... What? - How? ~ and follow it with "I"

What can I do to change my situation? How can I make this better? Follow it with
"I ______________."

God is wanting to do something amazing in your life. Are you willing to let Him or you going to choose to continue to serve yourself?

My choice is made and it has been the best decision, I think, that I will ever make in this lifetime.

Praise and Glory all to Jesus! Thankful and humbled....

Happy Thanksgiving!
Randy~

No comments: