Thursday, April 7, 2011

Last night did not go as planned so much. Kyle put it perfectly- I pick up rocks, I put them down. Not exactly what I had envisioned to be our first real steps into our ministry campus. I had visions of doing some work, some cleaning, smiles and laughter and a quick message to charge up the students and other leaders in their faith and taking ownership in their PURPOSE in life through Christ. My thoughts came through Ephesians 1:3-14 and there in the scriptures, its clearly written that God has given us purpose and meaning in life. I cant tell you how many times I have been asked - I dont know what to do with my life. I dont know what to study in my college career. I just dont know what God wants me to do. What is my purpose? Let me tell you this as I said last night, Who God has called you to BE is MUCH more important than what He has called you to do. God is interested in who you are as apposed to what you can do for him. If you miss out and decide to go in another direction, ignore the calling on your heart from God, choose to go and do something else with your life - Gods will will happen no matter what. It will just be through someone else. Someone else will grow closer to him, someone else will live a life of favor, love and blessings through Him. Someone else will grow in their faith journey and live a life with a higher calling, a bigger purpose and a life full of meaning. Finding your purpose begins with your character and who God is shaping you to become. If you think about it, you are already shaping that person in your future. This doesn't just apply to the teens in my life or the young people in yours. I am talking to you and its personal and I am speaking - heart to heart. Heart to heart - think about where you are today. What friends you have. The close peeps in your life. Your 750 friends on facebook and myspace. No matter what or where you are, God has a plan and a purpose for you but here is the kicker.... It begins with you. You are as close to God as you choose to be. Its that simple. I see every week students showing up on Sunday and on Wed evening bible study and once again - they forget their Bible. Regret happens most of the time in life when we really think about it is when we do something other than what the Bible teaches us. It's purpose to show us how to live!! What to do!! and also what not to do. The people and things and situations in your life are shaping your character. The question is, who's character are you trying to be like? I told my Sr High school kids last night as this time of year they are trying to decide where to go to college. Family plans for the weekends going to visit, reference letters in the mail along with transcripts and hopes and prayers for that acceptance letter. For some, their futures ride on that letter. Long lines of family traditions ride on that letter. How you live in college is more important than where you go to college~ Its all about character loved ones. Who are you when nobody is looking. If you are not letting God shape who you are to become - then what are you doing? Somebody has the molding going on right now... You know who they are or what that is. Question is, will you let it continue or will you find your purpose and meaning in life by following Jesus and let him shape you into something that He created you to be. Its in you...... even if you dont know it yet. Lonnie~

No comments: