Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Its an LOL kind of evening

I am so excited for tonight! Our first LOL student ministry Bible study in our new digs. Even though as a student ministry we dont have much space we will be using the K5 area but its so much more than we have ever had in the past! Stage, sound equipment and video screen! LOL is going to be off the rocker tonight and I am preaching a series starting tonight with the movie Soul Surfer as the theme. Its going to be so cool and I am hoping for a packed house!
I had a lot of fun chilling with the High School students last night. 13 of them showed for coffee, hang time and a little bit of Gods word and I challenged them not to be comfortable. Gods word we are to treasure and enjoy and change our lives but far too often Gods word doesnt penetrate the hearts that are listening and its just words going in and words going out. Its a great core group of students and so thankful for the leaders that also came and be an example and extend a heart that says - Hey, You are IMPORTANT!

Today I am still in Psalm 119 -
Let your love, God, shape my life with salvation, exactly as you promised; Then Ill be able to stand up to mockery because I trusted your word. Dont ever deprive me of truth, not ever - your commandments are what I depend on. Oh, Ill guard with my life what you've revealed to me, guard it now, guard it ever; And Ill stride freely through wide open spaces as I look for your truth and your wisdom; Then I'll tell the world what I find, speak out boldly in public, unembarrassed. I cherish your commandments - oh, how I love them! Relishing every fragment of your counsel.

We know the influence others have on our lives ... if you have friends that like basketball and you spend a good amount of time with them, eventually you will also like basketball. Carol, my wife loves football and together we enjoy watching the games. You have friends that meet for coffee from time to time and eventually - you will probably like coffee at some point. If you have friends that cuss - chances are good that your vocabulary will include some extra words. Even Nascar has this affect of people :)
As I think about this influence that others have on our lives, I think about the influence Jesus had on his disciples. I mean they spent a good amount of time together, 3 years in ministry, listening and learning and watching Jesus, how could they not be influenced? They got the front row seat in those experiences that so many only get to read about. That even applies today - we can only read about them even if we do our best to hold to the teaching that Jesus gave us. Jesus was focused on the children, on the poor and the outcasts of society. James, Peter, John and the rest were focused on them - Jesus had influence on them and made it important enough to them to continue that.
This totally has me thinking as I think about my high school students from last night and then a step further in all the students at church in the student ministry. Gosh this overwhelms me today.
The students will resemble the heart of their teacher. I have influence with these students. Not as much as parents and I have to continue to keep that in check and remind myself of that very important factor. If you are a parent and reading this - yes, you too need to be reminded! You are the greatest influence of your children!
With that in check - like it not, as a youth leader or pastor - we are passing on some kind of spiritual influence to those that are following us. Those who come to LOL tonight - some are hungry and needing and wanting that important connection, that important friendship, that important guidance, that important message and that important example.

Gosh that really hits home for me today. Jesus was very specific what he passed on to his disciples and we can see that by how they carried the torch afterwards. Praying that my influence is a good thing for those who are following, who are coming to church and allowing me to speak into their life. I am praying that the love I have for Christ comes out and is contagious enough for them to catch. May my journey with Christ be an encouragement to them even when life is hard at times.

May my influence into the lives of those around me continue to honor God in all I do.

humbled and excited all in one today,
Lonnie~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi - I am certainly delighted to find this. great job!