Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A little late for my post time but got my coffee in hand and its a great time during my day. Soon some of mykids will check in with me and see how my day was as I will get to hear about their day. One of my college kids had her wisdom teeth out this morning and is doing fine after her surgery. I am thankful for that. I remember those few tough days and hoping her next few days wont be nearly as tough.
Today marks February 29th. ? what, Its March 1st. Yeah I know but 3 years ago today, Walt Hagglund, Carols dad, stepped out of this world and into the next. Heaven accepted one more person on that early morning 3 years ago not because of anything that anyone had done but because of the faith of one small child. Carol and I spoke for years to Walt about heaven. About Christ, answered question after question, invited to church each and every Sunday - long conversations after a meal or even during his cocktail time but there was not much anyone could do. Its hard to make that conversion when life is good and you feel there is no need for a god in your life. Even during his darkest hours, we often spoke of his next step and many times just not wanting to think about it he would brush me off. I am here to say that even with people who loved Walt and prayed for him for years - there was not much any of us could do. In his last breathes - standing in front of him was my son Kyle, 10 years old then asking his grandpa to receive Jesus. With tears in his eyes and telling grandpa he wanted to see him again - Kyle led his grandpa in a prayer through John 3:16 and Walt accepted Jesus. In the next few moments, Walt went back to sleep and with those words being his last words spoke on this earth. I wasn't even in the room to see it. I was on the phone but the news came out of the room quickly and tears and joy overtook our home. I remember calling Pastor Jimmy and crying with him on the phone over what had happened.
It took the faith of a child to bring someone important enough to Christ as a grandpa. Though Walt lived a good life, was a loving dad and husband and provided for his family - the eternal aspects of his life were still hanging on those words. Kyle was the man and had the faith to not leave his grandpa behind.
His funeral services were sweet. Music played and Brandon singing the last song, Amazing Grace had few in tears but they were not tears of sadness. This funeral was a celebration. Though pain and grief is still present today, those pains and grief times are often overshadowed with joy because Walt is in a better place. He is will his wife MaryLou and my mom along with so many others.
Jesus seldom ever showed up to a funeral and when he did, it was to arrest death and stop the ceremony. Death is not in the process of a follower of Christ. Though we hurt and mourn over losing our loved one, we have hope in the fact we will see them again.

John - 16: 17 - Joy like a river overflowing - That stirred up a hornets nest of questions among the disciples:" Whats he talking about: ' in a day or so you're not going to see me, but then in another day or so you will see me'? And, 'because I'm on my way to the father'? What is this dar or so? We dont know what he's talking about." Jesus knew they are dying to ask him what he meant, so he said, "Are you trying to figure out among yourselves what I meant when I said, 'In a day or so you're not going to see me, but then in another day or so you will see me'? Then fix this firmly in your minds: You're going to be in deep mourning while the godless world throws a party. You will be sad, very sad, but your sadness will develop into gladness. When a woman gives birth, she has a hard time, there no getting around it. But when the baby is born, there is joy in the birth. This new life in the world wipes out memory of the pain. The sadness you have right now is similar to that pain, but the coming joy no one can rob from you. You will no longer be so full of questions. This is what I want you to do: Ask the father for wheavber is in keeping with the things I've revealed to you. Ask in my name, according to my will, and he'll most certainly give it to you. Your joy will be a river overflowing its banks!"

Today is not a sad day but a day to rejoice because of the things that have taken place. If you are young or old, think that God cannot use you because of the things you have done or have been done to you - remove those thoughts from your mind. God can and will use you no matter what. If you still have a heartbeat and alive - then surely God can still use you. God is still using Walt to shape lives and change hearts because of his story. We all have a story - a young boy 10 years old leading his grandpa to Jesus. What else is in this young mans heart? What things has he been through in his young life to shape and mold him, all the while God setting him up for something great! No matter the size of your faith loved ones, God can grow it into a huge oak tree full of acorns and shade, strong agains the winds of this troubled and broken world and where roots run deep into the soil. Your tough times will be refocused to joyous times and in your faith, you will experience the grace of leaning back on Gods word as he holds you upright and secure.

Walt, I miss you this day bro but its a day I know is a sweet day because of what took place. Amazing Grace, that song changed from being just a song 3 years ago today but into a song that brings hope, peace and love. It was a celebration in life in your passing, though we hurt and miss you, though Carol and Bob lost their dad and Kate, Kyle and Jenn, lost a grandpa - so many lost a friend. You were a dear friend to me. Even if you were a Yankee fan.
Love and miss you bro -
Lonnie~

Amazing Grace
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind, but now I see
Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
and grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed
My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood his mercy rains
Unending love, Amazing Grace

The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
The sun forbear to shine
But God, Who called me here below
Will be forever mine

No comments: