Monday, March 14, 2011

Its been awhile since my last post. The days have been flying by and to be honest here, I really dont like this spring ahead thing with the clocks. Its bad enough we moved a second in time with the earthquake in Japan but an hour? I guess I am getting older and dont recover as well anymore. There is just a ton of stuff going on right now. I have been out in front of the students a lot lately and even though I am loving it... it does wear on a person. Last week teaching at LOL I came home mostly rejected because of the time and energy spent on the message that God placed on me and with the weather bad and not many there - I guess in the small picture it was a failure. In the big picture - it was what God put in place for me. Maybe a test to see if I am faithful with the little crowd, maybe a smaller crowd where something in what I said affected the heart of a student there that needed a smaller setting to really tune into what was said.
I can honestly say that an encouraging word from your spouse can do a heart, soul and mind wonders in just a few seconds. While standing in the shower Wed night, trying to unwind and relax a little as my mind was running a billion miles an hour - Carol came in and spoke to me words that only a loving, caring wife could. It really pulled me into perspective, energizes me and gained me focus right then and there. If her words didnt come at the perfect time - who knows how long I would have been there in that place. I mean its hard to encourage yourself, right? Thats coming from someone who has the gift of encouragement but being human myself, I too get discouraged.
LOL on Friday was amazing - I had a good quick message nugget to speak on and 120 or so students filled the room. There is such an amazing thing that happens when you have the crowd gripped on your every word and action. I have never experienced it before until recently - its addicting in a good way - and one I never would have experienced if God had not been shaping me along the way.
I was always the behind the scene kind of guy serving in the shadows of others - doing the stuff that just seemed to be there when folks showed up. It was in those seasons that God was faithful and kept my eyes on the big picture because he knew what was to come. Faith and life is all about the next steps. I can honestly say, that life is busy. There is not a dull moment anywhere in my day where there is not some kind of ministry taking place. Either reading and learning, talking with someone, praying over something, my alone quiet time with Christ as well as fitting in my marriage and being a dad and having time for my close kids. It even takes time and effort to get some down time - I miss the cabin and my family. I know that preachers and high impact volunteers dont serve week in and week out. We all need down time and fun time and just plain ol hang out time where you build life together in the details.

Mark 12:41-44 is my message today that really speaks to me. I hope it speaks to you as well as you evaluate your place today. If you are thinking something is impossible and that there is no way you could have this thing come to pass. I would say you are not praying big enough. There is more to do IN you before you can go THROUGH it. You may feel you are at the ceiling of this next level you want to get to but you are at a loss and not sure how to proceed. God has those answers and your next steps. What is in your life from keeping you to be ALL IN?

Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put her two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. they all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything - all she had to live on."

The last few Sundays, Carol and I have been watching the new show secret millionaire. I love the show because the secret is that the person is a millionaire and even though this person acts like everyone else, they get to know them, they get to know the motives as to why these folks do what they do. They may be serving the homeless or delivering a meal or changing a neighborhood in a city lost in drugs and crime. They pour their hearts into what they believe in often times dont quit and retire or go quietly because they have been doing this for so long - it is WHO THEY ARE. You couldnt make them quit because there would be nothing worth living for. God is the same way and he is working on you through the experiences in your life. He has you by the hand and is not letting you go even though many walk away from Him. The show then takes a turn, a good turn, when the announcement is made that this new person is wealthy and is wanting to give away a check for the cause and purpose that these folks are living for. It really does have an impact on folks. It reminds me of the ladies who serve at the Center of Hope who give up an entire Sunday making food, serving food, talking with other volunteers and speaking encouragement into the hearts of those living there. SO often, that is all these folks need to lift their spirits is an encouraging word.
Jesus knew this widow, who I can can say by looking at a lady yesterday at the shelter, it very well could be her story in life and how she got there - she was quiet, came and spoke softly, ate alone and dragged everything she had in a bag/cart behind her that squeaked. I will think of her from now on when I read this story of the widow who gave everything even when she had very little. She gave it all because her faith and hope needed to be at its highest even when life was at its lowest. I had a handful of students who went with me yesterday and I got a message from their moms last night and one was in tears listening to the stories that her daughter got to experience. She said it was like her being there too and just was so thankful for such a great experience. I love those moments in ministry where the light bulb goes off and a real connection is made. Sometimes it takes a little refocus, maybe it takes a friend to call you out on something and sometimes it might take a step back to get a new perspective.
Its easy to give out of your surplus and when it doesnt hurt much but it takes a LOT to give when you dont have - to give. Thats the part that Christ wants to get across to you. It changes the order of priorities in your life and you being at the top is not the best place to be.
Thats all I have for today......
Lonnie~

No comments: