Thursday, July 15, 2010

Work the new four letter word

Had a great time at LOL last night hanging with all the students as their mom and dad got to hear the vision and heartbeat of Christ through our student ministry from Pastor Travis. This kind of thing really pumps me up but I am a little down in the fact that not that many parents came, some students came without their parent(s) but I am happy that they came. Some just don't bother coming or give some excuse as to why they can't - or won't. Its that part that I struggle with. I am pouring all I have into this ministry and seeking God in terms of my own personal walk and for him to teach me how to lead these students. It is everything about who I am today. We plan, study, work hard to get the word out and answer 1000 questions and then some don't show... I guess I should focus on the ones that are plugged in and who come no matter what. I have a few students around me who are like that. They are not missing anything and God is speaking into their lives ... you can see their faith. If people don't come and keep the door shut on what God wants to do ... it sure makes it hard to follow Christ that way from the sidelines. Faith is a verb ... and it requires some action to be active and alive.

Thirst Camp is coming up and we are in high gear with plans and working out details. Pastor Travis, Kyle and I have an appointment to meet with a family who is in need and through a friends testimony who we served last year at camp - has humbly agreed to let us come this year and bless them with serving whatever it is they need us to do. I am really excited about showing this family the practical love of Jesus and I am really excited to have our students involved and getting their hands dirty for their faith. Its something that is life changing for everyone.

My study brings me to II Timothy 2:1-4 today and I will use the Message translation because it it worded so well. Hope it speaks to you ... moves you out of your seat... and puts your faith into action.
Doing Your Best for God
1-7So, my son, throw yourself into this work for Christ. Pass on what you heard from me—the whole congregation saying Amen!— to reliable leaders who are competent to teach others. When the going gets rough, take it on the chin with the rest of us, the way Jesus did. A soldier on duty doesn't get caught up in making deals at the marketplace. He concentrates on carrying out orders. An athlete who refuses to play by the rules will never get anywhere. It's the diligent farmer who gets the produce. Think it over. God will make it all plain.

This so speaks to me today because of those who are chosing to not plug in. Those who don't feel like going to Thirst Camp, Sundays or whatever else. Those who just seem to be going through the motions in their faith or just using it when its convenient. Decisions are not just a one time event.... they don't change your life - they change your direction.
Jesus didn't die on the cross for us to just sit on our faith, come to church once a month maybe, not live out the vision of our local church, to sit on the sidelines, to not lead our families and children.... I must stay the course and continue moving forward. Those that stick... will be poured into. Its hard at times... harder than I ever imagined.
Thats another post though for a later time....
Stay the course Lon and "don't look back". How awesome that advise to a student earlier in the week has had such an impact on the one who gave it. (me) Hope the one who heard it is really living it like I am this week. That will be a great conversation don't you think?

"Don't look back" I have to live my faith. Who is with me?
More of Christ; less of me.

Lonnie~

No comments: